NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 am 

Hi All,
Anyone has put naslite-m2 on a soekris 4801 booting up from a CF flash card?
How does it perform on this platform?
Trying to get some info before aquiring the software.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 am 

BTW - I have tried to install from CD into a sandisk CF card, but it would not boot.
Seems like the installer is not very solid.
Have tried in the past Freenas installing in the same cf card (so the card is ok) with physdiskwrite without any problems.
Do you guys know other method to get the naslite-m2 installed on a cf card properly.
Thanks
weirdstuff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 am 

OK, so I think I am running this alone.
I was able to move the install into the cf card - but will try to boot it up and install into the soekris at home tonight.
Cannot believe no one here put this up into soekris.

Mainly this box has limited 256MB of RAM.
My understanding about naslite-m2 was that it uses the cf card to boot up and save the config and runs everything else out in the RAM space - is this true?

If that holds true then when I will start the SMB/CIFS and UPnP services up, how much memory would these puppies consume?
Would I be able to run it on into the 256MB ram space?
Hope someone outhere will be able to answer my questions - big guys Ralph/Tony?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 am 

One more question.
Understood that once up, will have to go to get the unlock code.
That's fine, but if say this box crashes (of the cf card dies) how would I go to install it on a different box?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm 

First off, you are not alone. It's just that we all have jobs too and sometimes do not have the time to respond at the drop of a hat. We are not payed for this and help here because we are nice. Tony and Ralph, Server Elements, are very busy of late and are sometimes slower to respond than some would like. It is nothing personal nor does it mean that they don't care about their customers.

As far as using NL on the hardware you are trying to load it on, sorry but it is a bit out of the designed hardware platform. The software is designed for running on older PCs, IE to re-purpose a machine that is no longer used as a desktop. Can it be gotten running on the board, likely it can. You may have to load the CF card on another machine and then transfer it to the new board. Some CF cards are just hard or impossible to boot off of. I have an old 64MB basic FC card that anything will boot off of. I also have a few 256MB Sandisk Ultra cards that are a bit less forgiving when trying to boot from them.

As far as the unlock, if you move to another machine just boot and log in via the web server and then request a new unlock.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 am 

Hi, thanks for reply.
As far as 'old-pc' - I can tell that on a similar box, I am running a full blown linux with Apache, webmail, etc - so this thing is light but runs like a pro.

Anyhow, tried last night to boot up on the box, but cannot get the initial screen - the way I connect to it is through a null serial using minicom on a laptop.
Would be nice if someone who successfully did this on soekris box would post its results.
Will try other venues and post back.
cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 am 

OK - success !

I boot the CF card on a different computer.
Set it up, and everything. Plugged it back into my soekris box and works.
Normally when setting up my soekris with linux , I connect serial console through minicom.

Now, naslite-m2 boot involves some image that I think minicom does not handle.

So I boot up my headless soekris and after 3 min, I could ping it.
Connected to the http and I could bring up the status page.

It reports 30M of RAM consumed, so I am left out with some good 200 and something MB of RAM - now this is a low powered naslite appliance that would (should) stay up 24x7 at around 5W :)

Hope my posts will help others on the same architecture.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:46 pm 

So you did as I said and built/configured it on another machine and then transferred the card to the target appliance.

Glad you got it working. How about some benchmark test to see what kind of performance you are getting?

Mike