NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:47 am 

Looking to up my throughput on my NasLite-M2. I am currently using this NAS to edit video from, currently working with DV25 material but need to work with 100Mbit/s HD video. Trying to see if link aggregation will work. Or if any version of NasLite supports link aggregation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 pm 

Nope, only up to a single Gigabit link. To be honest this should perform well enough if you are coming off a RAID array. Some have gotten upwards of 80MB/sec this way. If you are dong non linear editing then you are going to likely need fast local storage and simply use the NAS for storage of content and finished cuts. It would likely be better to use local two or three SSDs in a RAID0 for editing and use the NAS for the rest.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the answer. I have been using a Naslite for many years successfully sharing media between 2 Avid editing systems using SD DV25. I was hoping to be able to do HD the same way. I don't have a raid currently, but do have that planned for an upgrade. I am also planning on installing a second NIC in each host editing system and connect editing systems and Naslite on a separate switch to cut down on network traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:28 pm 

That will likely not help allot with the throughput. They are going to be rolling a version called SANLite which will export disks via iSCSI. With that you will likely see an increase in speed and will definitely benefit from having a second network just for the SAN traffic.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on SANLite, I may wait to do any upgrading until that product is rolled out. Any ideas on ETA?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm 

Not anything to tell you there. Tony and Ralph are presently working on a total revamp of the website. They are thinking that rolling out a piece of software like SANLite without having a modernized and updated website is kinda folly. I would have to agree with them on that one. Perhaps one of them will comment on rough time tables?

Mike