NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm 

I just purchased/updated my NASLite-M2 to the latest version of NASLite-M2 X64. I bought the original version over a year ago.

One thing I noticed is that during large directory transfers from Windows 7 X64, that occasionally I would receive a transfer error:
"Too many Files are currently in use. Quit one or more programs, and then try again."

So if I try again, it starts transferring. Then intermittently, I'll receive the error again.

So I figured that I would buy the newer version and that perhaps this issue would finally have been resolved.
Instead, I am still receiving these same errors. In fact, I just had one file hang for a very long time without that error.

I looked this up and it appears to be an issue with Samba which was discussed (and supposedly resolved) here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmi ... bug/462172

Here is what a Google search turns up:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... are+in+use

I hope this gets fixed soon, as my purchase has become unusable. I don't want another 6 months to pass by just to have to pay more money to retrieve an access code for something that should have been resolved a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm 

I just went over to my server after noticing the hang and saw this error which forced me to reboot:

Bug: Bad Pagemap in process PTE: 800000002c19c067 PMD: 653c5067 page ffffe200009a5a20 Flags: 00100073 anon_vma: ffff880077b0a9480 mapping: (null) index: f7fe4 pid: 7154 comm: pstainted
2.6.30.3-64-core3#1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ah,

This is definitely a Win7 related problem where the files are not properly closed. The error does not occur with other versions of Windows but DOES occur with 7. So the only fix at this point will be to increase the max files to a higher limit.

That can be potentially dangerous with memory allocation on less-capable systems, but the benefits of accommodating 7 outweigh the potential.

It's now on the list for next release.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:04 am 

I'm hearing that is has something to do with SMB1 on NASLite versus SMB2 being used by Windows. SMB2 is faster:
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-s ... r-2008.htm

I may have mistakingly confused SMB for Samba - are they the same thing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Versions of Samba (3.5+) include experimental SMB2 support but that will not be going into NASLite until things are stable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:36 pm 

I have been testing Naslite-M2 (32bit) [NASLite-M2 v1.65 06-2011 release 2.6.30.3.CORE3] and I am seeing this same error.

Too Many Files are in use.

Perhaps I missed another posting but this thread seemed the most relevant.

What is the recommended workaround/fix?

The problem manifested while copying a significant directory of files from a Windows 7 workstation to Naslite-M2 served storage. Repetitive "Try-Again" seemed to move the copy along to successful conclusion but if this is apt to be a regular occurrence then Naslite-32 will not work for me.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Cheers ... Phil Usher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

This problem has been addressed, we are looking at a release sometime next week.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:41 pm 

Upgrade procedure?

I was wondering if there is a document which describes the typical upgrade procedure.

I anticipated an "update" option somewhere and/or a link in the announcement to install instructions.

I also searched for Upgrade procedure but and found a couple of posts but none lead to anything procedural in structure.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 pm 

Just reinstall the appliance software and reboot.

Mike