NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 am 

I recently purchased NL-M2 to be a video server on my home network to supplement my DNS-323 with 2-250 GB hard drives. (It was cheaper for me to buy NL-M2 than to upgrade my hard drives on my DNS-323). Setup was a piece of cake (great job considering I don't do Linux very well). All drives and devices are recognized. NL-M2 is installed on a flashdrive. I currently have the UPnP media server set to the PS3 profile. Here are the issues I am encountering.

My videos are mp4s encoded by Nero from ripped DVDs (no DRM). The videos play on my PS3; however, they take about 30 seconds to start. Until they start, I just get a black screen then they play fine. Is this normal? I have tried all of the UPnP profiles and the videos won't play at all under those. I also have a WD Live TV on my network, and it plays videos just fine using the PS3 profile (no delayed start)

The other issue I've encounter is that when both media players (PS3 and WD Live TV) are having videos streamed to them, playback is choppy on both players until one of them is stopped.

Could this be an issue with the PS3 or my hardware setup? All connections are wired. I don't have these issues with my old DNS-323 running Twonkymedia server 4.4.

Thanks for your help.

-Blutox

ASUS MA785 Motherboard
Athlon II X2 processor
2 GB memory
NL-M2 on a 2GB Flash Drive
WD 200 GB 7200 rpm PATA HD (Swap drive)
Seagate 250 GB 7200 rpm SATA I HD
Seagate 1.5 TB 5900 rpm SATA II HD (Media files are here)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:48 am 

blutox wrote:
The other issue I've encounter is that when both media players (PS3 and WD Live TV) are having videos streamed to them, playback is choppy on both players until one of them is stopped.

Could this be an issue with the PS3 or my hardware setup? All connections are wired. I don't have these issues with my old DNS-323 running Twonkymedia server 4.4.

Thanks for your help.

-Blutox

What are the network speeds for each of the networked components in your setup also do you have any hubs/switches in there (I Guess you must have) what speed do the nic's in the PS3 / WD Live run at?

given this information the guys on here will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:02 pm 

Gigabit speeds for everything but the WD Live (100Mbit). All going through a Netgear GS716T Smartswitch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 pm 

Sorry guys. My solution was to install Ubuntu 10.01 and run TwonkyMedia server. Works great and it can handle multiple feeds. The media server in M2 just did not meet my needs. I will still use the NAS capabilities. Hats off to the ease of setup and use.

-Blutox