NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:50 pm 

Hello!
I did install the NASLite M2 X64 to a CF-card that is mounted to an IDE converter from one computer. Then when moving it to the next computer I loose all the settings to default during upload and can not save any configurations anymore. Everytime I try to save I get failed error as it could not read the configuration! I can start up with the CF-card but that is all. When trying to reinstall NASLite I do not get the option to install on the CF-card but I do have the options on all other disks I have installed.

What can be wrong when you are not able to save the config, and during start up it can not read the config and starts with the default settings!!?

I use ASUS motherboard P5QL-EM with Celeron processor and 2GB RAM and 6 1Tb drives, previously I had the older version NL M2 on disk0 and wanted to use CF card instead. I have tried to remove all the drives and only have the CF-card and also with all drives attached but nothing helps! I set bios to start with the CF-card and it loads but getting "failed to read the configurations" Also I get no option to upgrade from previous version (I have NasLite on one partition) so that means if I go with the older route and install on disk0 I will loose all the data on the disk...

Any hints what can be wrong here?

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:21 pm 

try another cf card - i have had them work in one setup and not another - no idea why

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:12 pm 

You don't need any of the large and fast read/write cards. A simple 32mb to 64MB basic surplus card is all that is needed in fact.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:39 pm 

Soren, one thing that comes to my mind is that the unlock code is derived from and tied to the hardware, with one of the items being the network card. Did you apply an updated unlock code when you shifted the CF to the other computer?

Mike, I tried installing on a surplus, working, 32MB CF card however it failed as it was unable to create the partition, even though I selected the installation for OS only, ie no facility for data storage. I took the opportunity to justify upgrading the camera's CF and use the 512MB card that it had. This worked alright although I would have preferred to use the 32MB card.

Cheers,
Brendon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:48 pm 

Oh crap, I completely forgot about the unlock being tied to the hardware! Good catch.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 pm 

Hello!

I did not unlock the code, I just put in the licensnumber and ip address but all that was lost when I moved it to the new computer. Then I was not able to save the configuration at all, impossible... spent one day trying different ways. I used a ScanDisk Ultra II CF card 8GB, can not use this card as it is too slow for my camera so I thought it would be perfect for NasLite!

I finally gave up and went back to my harddrive instead, it's a shame as I can see the advantage of using CF card instead.
The strange part is that it worked perfect in one machine but not at all in the one I wanted :?

Another thing I also got in trouble with was with the USB keyboard when using the Utility Install during boot.
After I write the "i" to run the utility you then have to logg in with "admin" but that was not working as it could not recognize my keyboard anymore. I tried with 3 USB keyboards and no success so I had to run to a friend to get one with the regular PS/2 connector... :shock:

Soren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:13 pm 

again i say try another cf card - some work some dont and even those that work will not work in every machine

i have cards that work fine in a pc but will not work in a camera and vica versa - why i have no idea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 am 

soren wrote:
... not working as it could not recognize my keyboard anymore. I tried with 3 USB keyboards and no success so I had to run to a friend to get one with the regular PS/2 connector... :shock:

Soren

So if you have a PS/2 port on the motherboard you can buy very cheaply a USB-to-PS2 adapter. I've done this successfully many times.