NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Partitioning problem
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

I was recommended this product and am so far quite impressed.

At present I'm just using the current hardware to prove it all works as I want before committing to upgrading the HDD etc. Current hardware is IBM ThinkCentre, MB=FRU#89P7935, P4 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB PATA HDD.

I've encountered a bit of a problem with installing both the OS and storage on the same HDD. When booting from CD and installing to HDD I selected option <1> for OS and storage residing on same HDD. Installation of the OS was effortless. Going through the steps logically set out in the manual, I got to the part for partitioning and formatting the data storage area on the HDD. This is where the wheels fell off. From memory it reported things like being unable to read sector 2, unable to read or write <something> resulting in a short read and finally it set up some table with around only 192 entities or the like. The end result was a formatting failure. Looking at the server info under Server Storage it reported System Total 15.5MB and System Store 6.0M and no Disk-0.

What I have since done is boot from USB and format the entire 40GB HDD for storage. This worked a treat and is showing Disk-0 with a capacity of 36.7G. From this I can assume the hardware is alright.

Having read through other posts I'm going to be setting the server to boot from CompactFlash as the USB is a work-around at the mo. I'll also be upgrading the HDD to a SATA 1TB - yes the MB has two SATA interfaces. Has anyone had any experience with "Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS Hard Disk Drive, 1000GB, 5400-7200rpm, 32MB Cache, SATA-2" drives?

I've also experienced some niggles with interfacing the uPNP with my PS3 but that's another post.

Cheers,
Brendon.

Post subject: Re: Partitioning problem
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:11 pm 

Try installing the OS on the machine, configuring the network and entering the unlock code first. Be sure and save the configuration or all will be for not.

After you boot the machine from the HDD based OS and all is good then telnet into the machine and setup the data partition on the HDD. Again, be sure and save the configuration after partitioning and setting the drive R/W.

Reboot the machine ans it should work.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Partitioning problem
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:37 pm 

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Sorry, I omitted to say in my original post that from the outset and in repeated attempts I followed the manual step-by-step, which includes multiple incremental configuration changes, saves, and reboots, with the same result everytime being a failed Disk-0 format.

As the forum isn't full of similar cases, this appears to be some problem specific to my set-up be it h/w or the interface between the chair and the keyboard or whatever. There is however one earlier post from BIG44G (18 Dec 2009) that appears to match my experience. I can't determine if their issue was resolved.

I'm going down the path of booting from flash with storage on HDD as this seems a sensible/robust way of doing things as mentioned by Ralph or Tony in one post.

Cheers,
Brendon.