NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:34 am 

Hi guys,

Dropped a line to the site admins, however have heard nothing back in the last 24 hours, so figured that i'd post something on here in the hope that someone may well be able to help. Please be gentle... first post, not over knowledgable of the product etc :)

So - first question - i _think_ i have a 64bit processor. However would prefer the 32 bit version, mainly because i have a machine to install on, however i dont know that it will work because of hardware, and my fallback machine is only 32 bit - What advantages does the 64 bit give over the 32 bit? The Mobo i'm proposing to use is an ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA (http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?M ... eNF6P-VSTA), if compatable - mainly NVIDIA based, so will have to check the HCL!!

Secondly, is this able to support multiple Raid arrays? i.e. i'd like to be able to set up a pair of sata disks as one array, and another pair of sata's as a second array, for the purpose of upnp sharing around the house. Is the possible??

Finally, is it possible to say have these two arrays set as Sata Raid, plus a couple of IDE drives (non-raid) hanging off this box as separate drives as well?

Many thanks
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 am 

no idea what advantage there is in the 64bit version but know the 32bit one will work on 64bit motherboards - from a purely personal view point i would buy the 32bit one as that is going to work choose how - assuming that is it works with your rig - if you buy the 64bit one and then want to go backwards you could be in problems

i believe it can be used with 2 raid arrays - have a search there are lots of threads on raid as this has been problomatical in the past - more hardware raid boards that dont like naslite - i believe much of that has been solved - there are experts here that will help on specific problems and boards

you can use raid and hang other drives onto the system - ide, sata and usb - dont think there is a limit you will reach

be aware that naslite only supports hardware raid - again there are threads for that - we are told software raid support is coming - but no time scale has been given i believe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am 

Tony

Many thanks for the info :) Have bought the 32 bit version, however that was about 7 hours ago, and i havent received the mail with the key/download link yet! I'm hopeing it's a manual process, however it doesnt fill me with confidence at present :( I'm hoping that it'll be here soon as i want to start playing!! :)

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Check any spam folders you may have, or settings that may prevent the download email from reaching you.

Also you can re request your dowload link information from :

http://www.serverelements.com/upgrades.php

Enter the email address used at purchase in the lost download link section.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am 

Ralph wrote:
Check any spam folders you may have, or settings that may prevent the download email from reaching you.

Also you can re request your dowload link information from :

http://www.serverelements.com/upgrades.php

Enter the email address used at purchase in the lost download link section.

Thanks.

Thanks Ralph. It hadnt even made it as far as the junk folder! forums@serverelements.com is marked by spamassin as SA 3.34 and clean, however Sales@ comes up as -8.36 & spam!

Have whitlelisted everything, and will see if it arrives now!!

Many thanks for the prompt reply BTW :)

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm 

Hi there,

You are talking about RAID - I hope that you have a supported hardware RAID card because any consumer motherboard's onboard RAID will be software RAID and will not be recognised as RAID by NASLite.

You can add as many drives to NASLite as you have ports and power to accommodate - I once ran 11 drives in my server.

As I understand it, the main advantages of 64-bit NASLite are that it recognises more than one processor and also can utilise more than 4GiB of RAM.

I've been running 64-bit for a while now, quite happily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm 

NickC wrote:
Hi there,

You are talking about RAID - I hope that you have a supported hardware RAID card because any consumer motherboard's onboard RAID will be software RAID and will not be recognised as RAID by NASLite.

You can add as many drives to NASLite as you have ports and power to accommodate - I once ran 11 drives in my server.

As I understand it, the main advantages of 64-bit NASLite are that it recognises more than one processor and also can utilise more than 4GiB of RAM.

I've been running 64-bit for a while now, quite happily.

So are you saying that the 32 bit doesnt recognise all cores of a quad core?? If thats the case, i may well have ordered the wrong version - oh great....!!

Paul