NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who can help me ??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 am 

Who can help me setting up my NASLite-M2 x64 ??
I tried Tony but no answer !!

I finally bought NASLite-M2 x64 and I tried to install it ; the hardware is fully compatible but (I think) my problems are the fixed disks : first disk (should be Boot Disk) is one CF to IDE Adapter with 1 GB CF Card and second one (should be Storage Disk) is one 1 TB WD SATA HDD.
The problem is this : I do full install, then I configure Network and so on, then I put License Key and Unlock Key after .
After rebooting the result is that only Disk-0 (CF Card) is accessible from Storage Configuration Menu (even if it reports NOT MOUNTED) and Disk-1 (1 TB WD) is marked with an asterisk (*) and there is no way to Format or Mount it.
I tried several times to reinstall everything and changing Boot config (as you can see in images) but nothing to do.
The hardware is : Intel Mini-ITX MainBoard D945GCLF2D (ATOM 330, 945GC Chipset+ICH7, GB Lan onboard), two GB of Corsair Ram DDR2-667 Mhz, one CF-Adapter (picture) with 1 GB CF Card as Master on ATA 40 pin connector and one 1 TB WD Disk (WD10EADS w. 32 MB Cache) on First SATA connector ... nothing else.
CF Card is set as FIRST in Bios Boot order and it acts as an HDD
The Bios Boot Priority is set as (1) CF Card and (2) SATA HDD
Everything is brand new and fully functional : before setting up Naslite-M2, I tested the system installing Vista Business 64 bit and everything was running OK.
What is the problem ??
Can you help me ??

Regards - Michele.

Last edited by migimigi on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Who can help me ??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 am 

migimigi wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It may help if you posted what problems you are haveing and there are a few guys in here that will try to help

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am 

dougal1957 wrote:
migimigi wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It may help if you posted what problems you are haveing and there are a few guys in here that will try to help

Doug

DONE !!!

See up edited post !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 am 

When you attach the HDD it looks as if it renders as Disk-0. You should format, mount that disk and save the configuration. Remember to set the CF device as the first HDD to boot from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:23 am 

NickC wrote:
When you attach the HDD it looks as if it renders as Disk-0. You should format, mount that disk and save the configuration. Remember to set the CF device as the first HDD to boot from.

Why on earth didnt I spot that simple really

As nick says work on disk-0 set it up and it should then be available to you.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 am 

NickC wrote:

Yes, I understand but HHD is reported as DISK-1 (not DISK-0) and CF Card is already First Boot Device in Bios !

Naslite don't let me format SATA Disk anyway !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am 

dougal1957 wrote:
NickC wrote:

Why on earth didnt I spot that simple really

As nick says work on disk-0 set it up and it should then be available to you.

Doug

DISK-0 is CF Card, not SATA HDD.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 am 

i think you are looking in the wrong area - i would start in bios - something is wrong in there i think - or you have a cable fault on the sata drive as naslite is not seeing it - or seems not to be

plus how did you install on the cf card - option 1 or 2 - one is better for cf cards - i would allocate all to the cf card and not partition it as you would if installing to a hard drive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 am 

I am using the exact same card and had zero issues setting it up. Like Tony said, I set it up as a single partition. Mine is a run of the mill 64MB CF card, nothing special about it.

There are a couple of things I notice in the screen shots you post up. In pic 5 you have disk-1 set as the boot/config device yet the CF is on disk-0. This is your issue.

Disconnect the SATA drive and rebuild the machine with only the CF card installed. Config and save the settings. Unlock and save the settings. Remember to reboot after the saves. When the machine is booting off of the CF card, then connect the SATA drive and configure that. This should get you up and running.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm 

I am using the exact same card and had zero issues setting it up. Like Tony said, I set it up as a single partition. Mine is a run of the mill 64MB CF card, nothing special about it.
Mine is just the same except for the card which is 1 GB CF

There are a couple of things I notice in the screen shots you post up. In pic 5 you have disk-1 set as the boot/config device yet the CF is on disk-0. This is your issue.
In fact THIS IS the REAL problem/issue

Disconnect the SATA drive and rebuild the machine with only the CF card installed. Config and save the settings. Unlock and save the settings. Remember to reboot after the saves. When the machine is booting off of the CF card, then connect the SATA drive and configure that. This should get you up and running.
This is EXACTLY what I have done TWICE before opening this post !! But the result is ALWAYS the same : picture 5. If I disconnect the SATA Drive after, then the CF Card boots correctly : picture 6

Michele.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 pm 

hmmmmm - i would still be looking in bios - it seems to me its getting stuff in the wrong order - is the system set to boot from the sata drive - is the cf card a master on the 1st ide line - is the sata drive on the 1st sata line

all shots in the dark but i am sure naslite is only working with what it has and is confused

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 pm 

Michele:

In BIOS, under "Advanced" / "Drive Configuration" play with "Use Automatic Mode" (should be "<Enabled>", but you could also try "<Disabled>"), and under "ATA/IDE Mode" try playing with "Native" vs. "Legacy".

The use F10 to save any changes, but go right back into BIOS and make sure both the CF card and the WD SATA drive show up on that page, before you boot Naslite.

:) Georg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:12 pm 

Another possibility: The 1TB WD SATA drive ALSO has configuration info on it, but the data partition info is damaged (so ... being Disk-1 you can't format it). If there's no data on the 1TB drive yet that's important, WIPE that drive and start over with configuration on the CF card.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
In fact THIS IS the REAL problem/issue

Use the installer and disable/destroy the configuration on all drives that you are not booting from. NASLite-2/M2 will use the first configuration marker it finds, so since some of the devices initialize before the CF, you'll end up configuring to the wrong device. That's what it looks like in the screen caps you posted.

The feature to mark any device for configuration is very handy with NASLite since it allows to boot from any and configure to any, but it has to be managed. Unmanaged multiple configs can become confusing.

Once you destroy config markers, removing any from the data drives, you should be back to normal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 am 

Tony wrote:
Use the installer and disable/destroy the configuration on all drives that you are not booting from. NASLite-2/M2 will use the first configuration marker it finds, so since some of the devices initialize before the CF, you'll end up configuring to the wrong device. That's what it looks like in the screen caps you posted.
The feature to mark any device for configuration is very handy with NASLite since it allows to boot from any and configure to any, but it has to be managed. Unmanaged multiple configs can become confusing.
Once you destroy config markers, removing any from the data drives, you should be back to normal.
Many many thanks : done !!
There probably were two configuration markers and I deleted the one on the SATA HDD and now everything seems to work fine !!

-->> One more question only (the last) : Indexing of Media files under UPNP acts only on the root folder (MEDIA) or can I create (some) subfolders to distribute different media files in (i.e. Cartoons or TV Series and so on) ??

Regards - Michele.