NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Installation Error
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm 

Hello to the group. :mrgreen:

Just purchased M2 and am now trying to install it for the first time. (switching from WHS)

The installation chugs along fine until the point when I get this error...

Detecting Configuration Device (unavailable) [FAIL]

Then the installer forces the pc to shut down.

My setup is listed below. The 3 samsung HDD's aren't connected to the mobo yet, but they will be after i get the os installed. The CD drive is a LITE-ON blu-ray disc combo iHES208-08 that i borrowed from another rig.

CPU = AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz
MOBO = ASUS M4N68T-M AM3 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
OS HDD = WD 80GB (5 years old, sata/ata combo, has jumper pins, but none are set)
HDD 1 = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
HDD 2 = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
HDD 3 = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB
MEMORY = CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 VS2GB1333D3
PSU = Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D
CASE = Antec 300

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

The error you are getting indicates that there is no config device. How are you installing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 pm 

I downloaded the iso, burnt it to a cd using iso burning software, powered up, config bios to set the bluray player as the primary boot device, re-booted, saw the M2 installation window, pressed "i", saw lots of green "done"s...then "fail". My intention is to load the M2 onto the 80gig hdd.

some random thoughts...

the 80gig HDD came off a windows pc and is formatted NTFS.
I'm using the 64-bit version of M2
I also tried using one of the other HDD's as the OS drive, but got the same error

Dumb question, what is a config device?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:22 pm 

Good news...was able to install successfully.

The only change I made was in the BIOS...under boot priority...the cd drive was listed first, and nothing was listed second ("disabled" it might have read). So I set the second boot device to the 80gig HDD and restarted. That seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 am 

eweber1969 wrote:
Good news...was able to install successfully.

The only change I made was in the BIOS...under boot priority...the cd drive was listed first, and nothing was listed second ("disabled" it might have read). So I set the second boot device to the 80gig HDD and restarted. That seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks!

Just a thought but will that MB boot from USB in which case get yourself a cheap USB Stick and use that as your OS Drive as the OS only needs 32 mB of disk space.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 pm 

I can certainly give it a shot. Will it affect performance at all?

Another incentive to try booting from USB is that I have lost access to the remaining 79 gigs on the OS drive. I seem to recall answering a question during installation about partitioning the OS drive...I must have picked the wrong choice.

Time to slip in some quick noob questions...

1. when running headless, I assume that M2 will boot to the login prompt and stop there...everything will be working at that point, and I would only need to login if I want to make config changes.
2. when shutting down a headless server, is it ok to simply click the power button? Shutting down gracefully (via the config window) invokes a bunch of kill commands. Just don't want to screw things up.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm 

eweber1969 wrote:
I can certainly give it a shot. Will it affect performance at all?

Another incentive to try booting from USB is that I have lost access to the remaining 79 gigs on the OS drive. I seem to recall answering a question during installation about partitioning the OS drive...I must have picked the wrong choice.

Time to slip in some quick noob questions...

1. when running headless, I assume that M2 will boot to the login prompt and stop there...everything will be working at that point, and I would only need to login if I want to make config changes.
2. when shutting down a headless server, is it ok to simply click the power button? Shutting down gracefully (via the config window) invokes a bunch of kill commands. Just don't want to screw things up.

Thanks!

From what I can gather it is better to do a gracefull shutdown by command because I beleive that if you do a power of type shutdown it will do a fsck on the disks before comming up and that can take some time (I had it happen routinely at the weekend and was scratching my head for ages wondering why I didnt have access to the box it took about 2-3 hours I guess)

I am Sure Mike or even Tony/Ralph will chip in with the de-facto answer for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:41 pm 

couple of ways to do things i have found when running headless

log on via a browser and telnet into the NAS box - you can then log on and shut down via option 8

or run a shutdown script from windows - is on here somewhere - cannot take credit but cannot remember who to give credit to

Quote:
ServerName = "192.168.xxx.xxx"
Username = "admin" ' Current Username
Passwd = "nas" ' Current Password

XIT = "E" ' Used to "EXIT" from NAS. (upper-case E)
YES = "y" ' Used to confirm an option. (lower-case Y)
SHUT = "8" ' Used to SHUTDOWN NAS. (number eight)

DELAY = 500 ' Minimum 500ms recommended; 1000 works well.

' --------------------------------------------------------------------
' SECTION B: Start a Shell
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' SECTION C: Start the TELNET
WshShell.Run "telnet " + ServerName

' SECTION D: Login. ("Sleep" pauses are needed delays.)
WScript.Sleep DELAY
WshShell.SendKeys Username + vbLf
WScript.Sleep DELAY
WshShell.SendKeys Passwd + vbLf
WScript.Sleep DELAY
WshShell.SendKeys SHUT + vbLf
WScript.Sleep DELAY
WshShell.SendKeys YES + vbLf
WScript.Sleep DELAY
WScript.quit

add you nas box addy on line one - save it as shutdown.vbs and it will shut the box down

theres another one for config - also useful

but as said dont press the off button

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm 

eweber1969 wrote:

I have NL x64 running on a server with a shared keyboard and screen. I either do a login as user "poweroff" and the usual password or hit the power button of the computer (without the poweroff etc commands). On the screen, both options give the same results: all the final commands go by and the computer shuts down. There is never a FSCK when booting after a power-down using the power button (except when the mount counts matches the max number set).

This being said, the result may differ according you MB and power supply. Check what happens once when the screen is attached.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 pm 

Wow...this is cool. Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!

I'm booting from a USB stick now...enabled telnet in W7...telneted into server...created shut down script that worked first time (if you don't count when I tried running the script before telnet was enabled).

More questions/comments if you don't mind (just disable my account when i start to become tiresome)...

1. I was going to ask about renaming the drives (something other than Disk-N), but after doing a quick search it seems this is not possible.

2. In lieu of not being able to rename drives, I tried using the W7 library feature to point to specific folders on the server, but W7 wouldn't let me because "the network location is not indexed." So then I tried moving one of the un-indexed server folders into the server's MEDIA folder since it gets indexed. Didn't work...I guess it's a different kind of indexing.

3. Has anyone found a way to link user-friendly folder names in W7 to server folders? (WAF)

4. What is the purpose of the server's SHARES folder?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Eric