NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 pm 

Funny thing is that I have built boxes with AMD processors before and not had an issue. Then again I have had MAJOR issues with AMD processors and motherboards before and had to abandon them in favor of an Intel processor and MB. Luck of the draw. Recently I did run M2 on a dual 2core Opteron motherboard and it ran like a raped ape. The processors are essentially the same as the one you have in the box you have with memory differences so I don't think it is the processor. My guess, and it is a WAG, is that it just don't like the chipset on that MB. Who makes the switch you are using?

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:38 pm 

It's a netgear prosafe 5 port switch. Should I try Linksys or DLink?

Lance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm 

Allied Telesyn, HP Pro curve, or a Cisco. :D Likely any of these would cost you a bit much.

To be honest, many of the switches that are sold on the low end by the likes of Linksys, Netgear, and Dlink are all based on a hand full of special chips. this is no different than the cheap NICs, most of which use Realtek chips based on the reference design. Try another switch from any of them to minimize the chance that the switch is at fault. You should just buy one from a store and save all the packaging. If it doesn't work just repackage it as it was and return it. If it does fix the issue then you have your new switch. If you can wait, your money will go much farther if you get a good used switch off of Ebay.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 pm 

Yeah I'm not sure where to find the higher end stuff around here...Even Fry's Electronics only really has Linksys, Netgear and Dlink locally. That and if a switch starts at 150 for a good one, and I need 4 5 port switchs and 1 8 port switch we are looking at a boatload of money if I have to use these in order to get some decent working stuff. I may just stay with 100Mbs since that seems to be working and send back the Intel NIC if I can't find a cheaper switch to work with it. The thing is the card works fine in a windows machine for gigabit so it's gotta be a linux issue which is frustrating.

Lance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm 

have you not got or have access to another system - you have gone the route of testing most things apart from the system that naslite is installed on - without reading back i seem to remember you have 2 windows systems - put the netgear or intel nic in one of those and boot from the naslite disc - you dont have to go much further than that to see/know if you are seeing gigabit speed

if you are then its the amd - will add i think :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:01 pm 

yeah I prolly can find one that I can try that one...Most of my hardware is pretty current around here that that mess things up? I have i920, i750 and q6600 cpus running and the only other PC I have is another AMD that is my HTPC.

I can try it in one of the other PCs. Do I just need to disconnect all the hard drives and will NL boot up fine without HDDs?

Lance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:08 pm 

you can disconnect the hdd but there is no need - nothing is written if you dont save the config

initially i would boot via the cd and log in and wander round - not at a system - but 'T' option and the '9' will show you some info - when i have done it sometimes it works other times its scrambled

if you want to go all the way - pull the harddrives [to be safe] and install naslite to something - a small HDD or a usb?? and set it up - that way you will get a log you can look at

if it works has to be a problem with the amd as the switch is as is as are the nics if you use them

again - i think - am just thinking out loud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm 

Well I appreciate it...I never thought of trying it since all the hardware was pretty new....I just don't see how the switch would show gigabit in every port using my windows PC and still possibly be bad...it sounds like it's some conflict with the AMD..but maybe I'll give it a try.

lance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:02 am 

Robertsonland wrote:
Yeah I'm not sure where to find the higher end stuff around here...Even Fry's Electronics only really has Linksys, Netgear and Dlink locally. That and if a switch starts at 150 for a good one, and I need 4 5 port switchs and 1 8 port switch we are looking at a boatload of money if I have to use these in order to get some decent working stuff. I may just stay with 100Mbs since that seems to be working and send back the Intel NIC if I can't find a cheaper switch to work with it. The thing is the card works fine in a windows machine for gigabit so it's gotta be a linux issue which is frustrating.

Lance

Lance

If it is the switch then surely the only one you should need to change is the one connected to the problem box isn't it?

I picked up an Allied Telysyn 16 port managed switch on Ebay for £62 which is not bad especially for a Managed switch.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am 

dougal1957 wrote:
Lance
If it is the switch then surely the only one you should need to change is the one connected to the problem box isn't it?
I picked up an Allied Telysyn 16 port managed switch on Ebay for £62 which is not bad especially for a Managed switch.
Doug

Doug,

I see what you mean, but I haven't moved any switches to Gigabit yet. I'm just trying out Gigabit as I wasn't sure about my NL box. So I went and bought a switch at Staples and hooked it up to my NL box via a cat5e patch cable and since the NL box is in the same room as my PC I ran a cat 5e patch cable from it to the machine as well. The windows PC ran GB but the NL box didn't. I then swapped the cables and the same thing happened. I then tried every port for the windows PC and all showed GB and every port for the NL box showed 100mb for the Netgear NIC (I finally got it to 1Gb but it would shut off and bump down time after time) and 10Mb for the intel NIC. So I'm only playing with the one right now but when/if I get it working I have that switch plus I need 11 ports in my Home panel (so I'll prolly run 2 switches there since I don't have room for the bigger 16 port switch) and 5 port switches at my desk (Printer, PC, Laptop) and my wife's PC (Printer and PC) and the HTPC (PC and Tivo) so I guess I could run a good 5 port in by my NL box in that closet and the cheaper ones elsewhere.

I'm really starting to think it's just a conflict with the BIOStar MB and need to start looking at different hardware for the NL box. I have another post in the Hardware Section and may just go that route. The BIOStar MBs weren't expensive by any stretch of the imagination and prolly just have issues with the NICs. I'd really like to find some hardware that doesn't have issues like this. I never knew NL would have this type of issue with older hardware.

Lance

Lance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:28 am 

if the naslite box has a cd drive boot it with a linux distro - not conclusive but if it kicks in at gigabit then its naslite -and it proves the motherboard - nic and cable is ok

if it stays at 100 then its not too helpful but its worth the try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 am 

Thanks Tony,

Any distro I should download and use? I boot of CD now so that isn't a problem.
Just want to make sure whatever drivers are needed for the Intel NIC are in the download.

Lance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:45 am 

cannot recommend one over the other Lance - i use ubuntu to do what i want - not sure about drivers that are in it

am told mint is also a good one

but i think all drivers can be added - in my experience network cards work pretty well out of the box on linux

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:48 am 

Ok so since it's just a test maybe i'll try ubuntu then...just need to see if it works with the card is all really...

Thanks Tony.

Lance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 pm 

Robertsonland wrote:
...I'm really starting to think it's just a conflict with the BIOStar MB and need to start looking at different hardware for the NL box. I have another post in the Hardware Section and may just go that route. The BIOStar MBs weren't expensive by any stretch of the imagination and prolly just have issues with the NICs. I'd really like to find some hardware that doesn't have issues like this. I never knew NL would have this type of issue with older hardware.

Lance

I have had a number of MBs that just refused to run stable for me. A couple of them were Athlon based and one was a P4 Celeron. Not all motherboards are created equal. It is sometimes just the luck of the draw. My Sun V20Z runs like a raped ape and is extremely stable. Then again so is the Intel desktop MB I am using for my production machine as well.

Ubuntu should have the drivers for the Realtek and Intel cards built in, no need to DL them. These are very common chipsets and well supported.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next