NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 am 

I'm trying to set up a massive JBOD volume that will contain all of my HD movies. The problem is that the 5-ch Adaptec 2610SA (PCI-X being used in a 32bit PCI slot) will only support SATA-150 (i.e it can see but not let me create a vol based on the Hitachi 2TB drive), and the max array is 2TB for some reason (PCI 32bit?).

I hope there is a card available that will allow me to create vols > 2TB as well as use 2TB drives themselves, without having to purchase an enterprise type motherboard that has a PCI-X slot, or without requiring a PCIe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm 

First off, the 64bit PCI-X card in a 32Bit PCI slot is not the cause of your issue.

Second, the SATA I port, running at 150MB/sec, is not your issue. SATA II drives are backwards compatible with SATA I interfaces. Also, the drive will never even hit the max transfer rate except in cases of a cache read ahead and this bust rate will last for what ever the cache size is, then drop off to the rate at which the data can be read off of the platter/s.

Third, have you flashed the controller with the latest firmware from Adaptec yet?

Fourth, have you flashed the BIOS on the motherboard with the latest version from the manufactures web site?

And while I am asking questions, why JBOD, why not RAID5 with a hot spare?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 am 

I wasn't sure about the PCI-X in a PCI or the SATAI/SATAII being the issue, but I didn't know what else to think when the card would recognize the 2TB in the configuration yet not identify the disk itself and/or allow me to build an array out of it. Thanks for the sanity check.

I flashed the card to the latest build (4.1.0.7417, A16) and unfortunately I still can't create an array (RAID5 or otherwise) bigger than 2TB. From doing some online research, there are several cards that have a 2TB limit. You're right on the RAID5 array of course - but I was testing with "Volume", aka JBOD just to test proof of concept > 2TB.

So back to the original question - does anyone using NL know of a fairly inexpensive SATA RAID card that will allow more than 2TB in an array?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 am 

The 3Ware 9500S-12 referred to in the "Raid issues" thread does.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm 

Thanks Nick, I just picked one up on eBay (with cables) for $105 shipped. Looks like it'll do exactly what I need.

Now I need to go find that Raid Issues thread you're talking about...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm 

http://serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3216