NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 pm 

Will NASLite-M2 eventually be offered with the CORE3 technology like in NASLite-2 ver 2.6?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:29 pm 

Per a post from Tony regarding that item.

Tony says: CORE3 will be the base for all future SE development. Immediate plans (Over the next few months) are as follows - in this order:

- NASLite-2 v2.6 (released)
- NASLite-M2 v1.6

- NASLite64-2 v2.6
- NASLite64-M2 v1.6

There is more coming after that but I will leave it to them to release that info when they feel its time.

Patience asshopper, it is coming. :D

They will do a few Beta releases to shake it down and then release it to production as they did with the recent release of NASLite-2 v2.6.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite-M2 v1.6 based on CORE3 is approaching beta stage. The additional weight of the M2 binaries and associated dependencies is about 5M (~2M compressed) so ISO size will be about 11M. Behavior of the services will be the same as with previous versions, however the hardware capabilities will be on par with CORE3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:50 pm 

Thats great news.

Again, when its released, I can test out to see if its working with the Marvel sata controller as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:51 pm 

For those waiting for the Core3 release of NL I have it on good authority that it is now in Beta testing! Rejoice!!!

For those of you that are past the 6 month update window I would advise that you buy this one. The regular release of core3 NL was a fair bit faster with Gigabit NICs and supported a whole bunch of new hardware including the Atom based boards so in vogue right now. Also supports the 3Ware 9xxx series of RAID cards, both PCI-X and PCIe. Smoke em if you got em. This is the best path to large, fault tolerant, storage on the cheap you can get in my opinion.

This release will be prime as the foundation of a media library. Burn your music, DVDs, and Bluray disks to an array and you are now at the forefront of the home media wave. Paired with Windows7 pro with Windows Media Center or an Apple Mac or your favorite Linux media distro and you have a Kaleidescape system on the cheap!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:50 am 

Thats great news. I'm looking forward to the M-2 release. I'm just setting things up now with some new drives.

I'm the one who had the Marvel sata controller issue. So anything you need tested, I can try it out if needed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:17 pm 

I don't have any say as to who gets to try the betas here. I am just a guy who knows a little bit and helps others here in the forums. This is Tony and Ralph's ship to captain and I am at best an observant passenger. I am sure that they will contact you if they need a had with your particular issue and that controller. It is very likely that the issue will be solved with the new release though.

Stay tuned for more as it comes in,

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 pm 

I can get a AMCC 3Ware 9500S-4LP RAID card at an attractive price. There appears to be no support currently for this RAID chipset in the current version of M2 but I'm prepared to buy the card now and wait until Core3 arrives.

The only question that I have concerns the disk drives. Will I be able to connect a couple of existing 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 SATA-2 drives (jumpered down to 150)? I have heard that you have to be careful about combinations of cards and drives. Any truth in that or just rumour?

Many thanks,

Raymond

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:36 pm 

You will not be able to use the card until the new release of M2 comes out.

The issue of the SATAI vs. SATAII and jumping down is BS. The engineering group behind the SATA interfaces has been very careful to maintain backwards compatibility between the two. Hell, SAS controllers will even take SATAI and SATAII drives.

Mike