NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USB disk timeout too low
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:22 pm 

I have a seagate USB hard disk attached to my M2 box that supports power management. The enclosure puts the drive to sleep when its idle. When I access the drive, it spins up, but NASLiteM2 does not wait long enough and the drive appears empty over SMB, NFS or FTP. I have to reboot the M2 server to regain access to the volume.

If I access a file on the drive via DLNA first to spin up the drive, then I can access it over the other protocols.

I have a script accessing the drive every 60secs to keep it from spinning down as a workaround, but I do want the power management features. This drive is for infrequently accessed media, so I'd rather not keep it spinning 24x7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm 

I have a WD green type hard drive on mine. If I don't go to it for a wile. Like a day it seems to take a wile to list it's files with samba. But it works and then goes fast after that till I don't use it for a wile again. I guess it takes about 3 sec. to list the file. It not it's just right away.

I did not change any settings in my NASLite-M2. I am not sure if there is but if there is I guess it be some place in the telnet menu.

-Raymond Day