NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy customer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:13 pm 

I normally only log onto forums when I've got a problem; but I thought I just had to type how happy I am with the NASLITE-M2 program. I had used Naslite2CD before but wanted a MEDIASERVER to stream video to the Xbox360.

I spent a whole Sunday playing around with Ubuntu Server and messing with SMB shares, Ushares, FFUPES, tversity, twonky and goodness knows how many command line prompts and debugging I had to do - just wasting my life for something that is relatively simple. I had toyed with the idea of buying a hardware solution - but so glad I didn't, NASLITE-M2 is just so easy and great value - yes, I really do appreciate the proprietary software to join up all those GPL's - as life is too short. I just wished I'd have bought this software earlier!

The only Gotchas were:-
a) Realising that I had to create NEW journal files on the disks that had been created with the old NASLITE CD version in order to stop it doing a deep-dive check on every disk on every reboot.
b) Having to restart the service when adding new media content. Although I have set UPNP to re-index in the background to see if that works.
c) having one Windows laptop fixed to a different WORKGROUP to all my other windows PC's sharing 'mshome'. The laptop kept pestering for a password that was never going to satisfy it, so I just manually mapped the drive and changed the user to any old name in a the Windows command window 'net use E: \\NASlite-M2\shares /user:whatever' just to get it connect. Now I am fully wired - can listen to music on the hi-fi (via DAAP), watch videos and photos on the xbox360 (via UPNP) and throw the rest of my digital life onto one of 5 disks in the attic.

So just wanted to say THANKS GUYS for an amazing product - it saved me a lot of money and if I'd have spotted this earlier, it could have saved me a lot of time too!!

Post subject: Re: Happy customer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:27 pm 

Yes. NASLite M2 is super good. It works very good form me. So easy to set it up and use it. Can log into it with http and other setting with telnet and they are super nice menu's. Mine has been working real good. I have a WD green hard drive on it. When I don't go to it for a more then a day going to it's folders takes about 5 sec. I think because the green hard drive goes to sleep. So it saves a lot of power. Running mine on a mini-itx.

Thank you for NASLite and it's for a very good price. Nice that can just download and make a CD-ROM to install it and it can beinstalled on about any thing and set up and put it in some other PC to run. That's were it's good for PC's with headless PC with out even a monitor.

-Raymond Day