NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 am 

Let me start by apologizing if this is not the right place to put this questions and to thank in advance for your time.

I have the goal to pick up two of my currently RAID 0 drives (300GB each, Hitachi SATA II drives) form my PC and to create a simple NAS like network device in RAID1 for extra safety. This storage space should:

-Be accessible through the internet (security is an issue)
-have permission and storage space based on users
-have a web interface to transfer files
-FTP also is a plus
-Be accessible like a network share at least in the LAN (windows vista client)

So far, nothing that can't be done (I think) in a dedicated cheap NAS specific device like ICY Box or a QNAP NAS (219P or so). But aditionally I'd very much like to run Teamspeak on this device.

Other features, although not required, would be being a sort of media server (I'm kinda clueless about these features, but somethign that feeds the iPod would be nice I guess :P).

My idea is to pick up some HW and setup a low power PC (mini ITX or something relatively small). As I may be hit by upgraditis soon (new GFX generation, i5 CPUs..), this server may well become a Q6600 with 2GB RAM or more (my main rig is a Q6600 with 6GB DDR2 that I'd reuse if I don't sell it and upgrade). So, in principle, I should not have any issues with lack of resources. Also, ultimate speed is not exactly a must - as long as it is decent.

Regarding HW - and for what I've read - NASLite does not support "SW RAID". In my old days, SW raid meant RAID performed only at the OS level (purely by SW), which meant that a raid setup that was shown as such at boot would be HW raid. But it seems that is not actually the case and the new mobos that have raid (e.g. setting up 2 HDD in RAID 0 on boot) are genarally SW RAID. So, basically, I'd need an discrete RAID card - and wait for the SiL3132 support (cheapest addon card I could find).

So, on to the questions:
-Is NASLite an adequate solution for this (running NAS and Teamspek) - if so, which version would you recomend?
-What do you think of the overall plan - better/easier solutions (e.g. going overboard for a basic need...)?
-Any half decent cheap mobo that has raid 1 (mirroring) support in NASLite already included?

Best regards (and sorry for the long text),

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:41 pm 

NL does not give you console or command line access. You will not be able to run a teamspek server or any other app or service on it.
NL does not have user access controls. Go to the IP address and the drives are there for all to see.
NL should be thought of as a VERY stable utility that only does one thing, basic file serving.
NL does not at present support on board RAID implementations. These are based in a driver and so will not run in NL. Search the forums for further info if curious.
NL does not have any facilities for the exporting of the shares to the internet in a secure fashion.

You will need to look else where for what you want. NL does not need allot of hardware to provide very good service, a PIII at 700Mhz and 256MB of RAM should be able to saturate a gigabit NIC if being fed with a logical drive from a hardware array controller.

Mike

Last edited by mikeiver1 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 am 

Thank you for taking the time and the effort of reading my post and replying. :wink:

While I could overcome the security issue though the router, the no CL access is a show stopper, and I guess NASLite does not fit my requirements - I'll have to keep looking :cry: .

Best regards