NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm 

I have been using NL-M2 for a few months now, and I am very happy with it. The main role is for video storage and streaming. I would like to ask for advice on the best way to move a VERY large amount of data from an external drive onto the storage disks. Please excuse me if this question is too basic as I freely admit that I am quite new to Linux use. Would I be creating a problem if I were to boot the machine with a live cd and move the data directly to the storage disks as opposed to via the network while running NL-M2?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:52 am 

you can move data via a linux booted system

i have done it ok - my method may not be the best or only one but it works - other ways i have tried have not

so -

format the new disc in Naslite [i found this to be nessessary]

then add that disc to the linux system and copy all the data to it

the main advantage of that is speed - i dont have a gigabit network so moving data via the network is slow

once that is done i have found that whilst the permissions on the directories and files look and are correct in linux they are not in naslite - files cannot be changed or deleted when the disc is moved back to the naslite system

so go into permissions in linux and make everything read/writable - that more than naslite does and is probarbly too much but it works

you can check by moving the disc back to the naslite system and checking that files/directories can be copeid to or deleted as you want

as i said at the begining it may not be 100% correct but it does work

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm 

If you have gigabit then just hang the external drive off of your workstation and move the data like you would any other to the NAS drives. This will by far be the easiest.

Mike