NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 am 

Hi,
I followed the manual's suggestion to setup my NASLite-M2 as an Appliance & it has worked very well over its life as a NASLite-2 & now a NASLite-M2, both as an Appliance for the past 3+ years.
I do have one issue & that is, when a re-boot is required at times NASLite-M2 spends a very long time checking one disk or another. This usually results in normal function after a time. As it is setup as an appliance I have no screen to view what is happening to what drive, as there is seven internal fixed drives currently, this will grow soon with external dirves, I have a lot of logs to view & I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Will there ever be any way to view the startup screens without a monitor?

Also what should I look for in the logs as to what happened.

My NASLite-M2 just came back, the reason for the reboot was to remove an external USB HDD, on reboot after removal I found that disk 6 & 7 did not mount, so I did the reboot in an effort to fix this issue this is when the server took 30+ minutes to recover. I now find that disk-3 did not mount this time.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I should look for in an effort to trace the problem.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:08 pm 

Depending on the size of your drives, the speed of your machine and the amount of memory you have, it could take hours for FS checks to run. In some cases, those where one has a very large drive and very little memory it may exit and not run at all.

As far as I know there is no progress indicator on the web interface or the control interface of NL when it is going through this process. At present the logs are lost on reboot so there is no way to tell what happened. I think that may change with the next roll of NL, not sure though.

You can look at the SMART data for the drive and see if there are any issues being flagged there. You could have a failed drive.

I would say reboot the machine and let it run overnight, if the drive still doesn't come on line then, post back here and we will try and trouble shoot it with you.

Mike