NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 am 

Hey there, I've just purchased and am trying to install nasLite-M2. All is going swell and mary until I save the configuration and reboot the system for the first time. Upon reboot it gets to the below screen and completely shuts down:

Checking resources : ====> [DONE]
Detecting configuration device (disk-2) [DONE]
Retrieving configuration settings [DONE]
Verifying License ID (hidden) [DONE]

BusyBox v1.01 (2008.07.26-02:54+0000) Multi-call binary

Usage: grep [-ihHnqvs] PATTERN FILEs...]
Detecting network device ( NONE FOUND ) [FAIL]
Shutdown in progress [BUSY]

So I'm wondering if my motherboard (onboard lan) is able to be run in conjunction with nasLite. The PCI slot is holding raid controller at the moment.
Mobo:
Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Motherboard, 533MHz FSB, 1xDIMM, DDR2, PCI, 1xPCI, 8xUSB2, Audio, Video, 1xATA, 2xSATA, Mini-ITX

Thanks, hopefully someone can get back to me with a fix. I'll carry on trying bios settings to try and get it working also :(

JJP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:34 am 

if the onboard lan is not supported then it will not see it and shut down as you are getting - check it is turned on in bios - if it is then non support is the problem and the only option [i think] is a supported lan card in a pci slot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:12 am 

hmmm unfortunate... so there is no way to get support for it then? Even a linux driver or something? Kind of gutted as I bought this system with nasLite in mind and as far as I could tell everything was supported...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:54 am 

not that i know of - there is a new kernal coming later in the year - no idea what that means as i have no idea on linux - but posts here suggest that it will support more hardware

others here will certainly know more - hopefully they will comment

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:47 am 

Allot of the motherboards use the same controllers that you find on PCI or PCIe add in cards but they seem to not work most of the time. There must be a general difference in the BIOS of the MB and the on board NIC that is at the core of this. The present kernel of 2.4.xx linux that Tony and Ralph use doesn't support any of the PCIe controllers as far as I know. Allot of the newer MBs use realtek controllers, they seem to not like to play nice when on the MB but just fine on a card. I have a number of MBs that have Intel or 3Com/broadcom chipsets and they almost without exception seem to work fine out of the box.

I think also you may have an issue with the fact that it is based on the Atom330 processor. As far as I can tell NL still doesn't have support for the Atom. Funny as it may be Intel, being a high quality NIC chip maker, uses a Realtek NIC instead. Why, I don't know.

You may have to shelve the MB for a while until T & R release the 3.x version of NL.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:42 pm 

JJP:

See here: http://www.serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2528&p=14075&hilit=atom#p14075

I still have not taken time to verify, but NL should work if you turn hyperthreading off in BIOS. But the onboard GigaBit LAN is not yet supported (should be with upcoming NL release that uses newer Linux kernel). Problem is in your case you want to use a RAID card in the only available slot. If you can do without the RAID for now, then you can add a PCI LAN card. If you do, please report back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 pm 
I too am getting that, using PCI-E Intel PRO CT card, not sure what to do