NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on drive swap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:23 am 

I wanted opinions on the best way to do this. I have Disk-1 (320GB) as a backupdrive for my important office PC files and this is mirrored to Disk-2 (1TB) every night. Disk-1 is full and i bought a new 1TB drive for replacement. Should I just remove Disk-1, replace with the new drive and change mirror from Disk-2 to Disk-1 or put in the new drive and just copy Disk-2 ro Disk-1 and leave mirror settings? Does it even matter or is there another preferred way.

Post subject: Re: Advice on drive swap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

When Disk-1 and Disk-2 contain the same data and the mirror is up-to-date, disable the mirror on Disk-2 and move it to Disk-1. Then install the new 1TB drive, format it and set it to mirror Disk-1. That's it...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:45 pm 

It did not work. I turned off the mirror, saved config and shutdown. I took out the old drive and moved my Disk-2 to this spot. then I put the new drive in. I can't get past: Verifying DMI pool data .......... Success. If I remove both drives NAS will boot fine and my Drive-0 works. If I plug in any of the other two it will not boot.

Update: After some reading it looks like my computer will not boot from the USB when the drives are connected. When I take them off I can go into BIOS and change the boot order and make the USB drive first. Not sure how to get around this though.

Update: After messing around with the boot sequence in BIOS I finally got it to work. I keep getting the 2 beep mirror error after each mirror run, however. How do i figure out the problem. It looks like all the files are mirrored. The data drive has a folder called _NL_SWAP (has a red circle on it) which is protected. Could this be the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:59 pm 

Still getting the mirror alarm every night which is very annoying. I looked at the mirror log and it is as follows:
2009/07/05 00:00:02 [7711] receiving file list
2009/07/05 00:00:02 [7711] rsync: opendir "/_NL_SWAP" (in Disk-1) failed: Permission denied (13)
2009/07/05 00:00:13 [7711] IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
2009/07/05 00:00:13 [8491] .d..t.... ./
2009/07/05 00:00:13 [8491] >f.st.... .AppleDB/cnid2.db
2009/07/05 00:00:13 [8491] rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(683) [sender=2.6.9]

How do I get rid of this folder?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 pm 

I guess nobody has a solution. I disabled the mirror and guess I can no longer use it. I got tired of turning the alarm off every morning. I think I will have to look for a new solution. NAS Lite is getting too limited for my needs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Not really any solution, it's quite simply one of two things, you either didn't read Tony's response correctly, or your Swap Area Target is set to the mirror disk, which would fail on the mirror because the system will not delete it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:39 am 

I did exactly as Tony suggested. So you are saying that if something goes wrong with a mirror, its just too bad? Is the only way to fix this by formatting the drives?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I did exactly as Tony suggested.

Then you've got your swap set to the mirror disk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like there is a secure copy of the swap folder on the mirror drive - most likely. It was probably placed there when you removed the source, prior to formatting the new larger drive if you booted with a modified order where the mirror drive was in order as specified by the config. Not sure just guessing here, but here is a possible solution:

1. Disable all mirrors and examine the mirror drives for the swap folder.
2. Change the swap disk setting in media options to the mirror drive you are trying to fix.
3. Disable UPNP and DAAP if currently enabled.
4. Save config and reboot.
5. Check if swap folder is gone
6. Repeat for each mirror drive as necessary.

Let me know if that works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

rsync is attempting to delete the swap folder to make the correct mirror, and it can't, because the system needs it.

No other reason why rsync would try and delete it, the swap is set to the mirror drive, or the new drive to receive the mirror wasn't formatted like you said in the begining of this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

Thanks Tony. I did what you said and the _NLSwap file disappeared form from both drives (Disk-1 and DIsk-2). I turned back on DAAP and redid the mirror. Disk-2 mirroring Disk-1. I got the same alarm the next morning and the _NLSwap file is back on both drives. What is the _NLSwap folder? Any other ideas?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

OK, Let's start from the beginning since I'm a bit confused by what you are describing. Please take a look at the following and post what you find:

1. I assume that Disk-1 is the source drive and Disk-2 is the mirror of Disk-1. Is that correct?
2. What is Disk-0?
3. What is the mirror setting for Disk-0?
4. What is the mirror setting for Disk-1?
5. What is the mirror setting for Disk-2?
6. What is the swap drive set to in the media options menu?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:28 pm 

1. Disk-1 is the source and Disk-2 is the mirror.
2. Disk-0 is a 3 drive RAID using an Adaptec 2610 card
3. No mirror for DIsk-0
4. No mirror for Disk-1
5. Disk-2 mirror setting: 192.168.1.90/Disk-1/00
6. Swap area target is Disk-1

This was working fine until I decided to upgrade Disk-1. I turned off the mirror on Disk-2, swapped this to the SATA cable where Disk-1 (old disk) was. I put in the new disk and it is now Disk-2 and formatted it. I turned on the mirror for Disk-2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ralph and I looked into this and all looks in order. So, on to the next clue. Make sure the Mac you use to access NASLite is turned off before the mirror starts and see if you get a clean mirror. It appears that you have both source and mirror mounted using your Mac. The Mac creates hidden folder named .AppleDB that is unique for each volume hence the mirror function will fail. For future reference, make sure the mirror destination is not mounted while the mirror is in progress.

BTW, the _NL_SWAP folder contains a swap (virtual memory) file used by UPnP and a media database used by DAAP.

Hope that helps...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 am 

Turned off the mac and still get the error.