NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: network confusion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:04 pm 

Hi everyone :D I the new kid on the block. I have recently aquired my NASLite-M2 and first impressions are I like :D

I have a little network issue which is bugging the hell out of me. OK - to details. I have a small home network of about 6 computers and have a firewall with Clarkconnect 4 installed. I change from time to time between smoothwalll Clarkconnect and Ipcop. I have set up my system with dynamic dhcp so that I don't have to give individual ip's everytime I install a computer.

Everything seems OK but my firewall doesn't want to see my NASLite-M2?! I know that NASLite has to have a static address so I have given it a static one between 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.244.
I can ping my firewall and that isn't a problem but it will not see NASLite? I haven't a problem with any other computer on the system just NASLite?

I really can't see it being a problem for Clarkconnect but maybe someone here knows better? I can get access to my NASLite from windows with the static ip address ...no problem...so why can't Clarkconnect see it?

OK lots of questions and I would appreciate any help I can get on this matter.

Thanks

bookie56

Post subject: Re: network confusion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:42 pm 

same problem here with my speedport w701v firewall but it's not important there.

@admins: please solve this problem^^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

What do you mean by firewall "doesn't see" NASLite?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:34 pm 

Hi Tony and Carter

OK I have set dhcp to give out dynamic ip's - which is working fine but there is no listing for my NASLite. As soon as any of the other computers are on line thy are given a dynamic ip and I can see the ip given. This is not the case with NASLite?
I expected NASLite to be given a dynamic address which I could make static. Because NASLite wasn't given a ip I created a static one with the mac address, but the address is said to be inactive?

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm 

You assign naslite a static ip outside the range of the dhcp server, so the dhcp server does not allocated a lease to naslite. That's why you will not see it. The static assignment in your firewall is if you want to always allocate the same ip to a given dhcp client and has nothing to do with naslite having a static ip. Naslite is not a dhcp client.

why is this a problem? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:59 pm 

I think you are both missing the point of NL. It is a NO BS, fast HDD to Ethernet OS. It is not designed to provide an exporting function to the internet. The issue is not on the NL side of things but on your routers side. NL exports under a number of protocols just fine. I have yet to hang a machine off of the network that can't access the NL server.

You may have to recook your router install to allow it access to your NL box. Also, the router may not like anonymous access for security reasons (just like OSX). Another possible issue may be that you are assigning the static IP address in the same range as the lease comes from in the DHCP server. To say that the issues are on the NL side of things and work only from that direction is at the very least ignorant of basic trouble shooting doctrine.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:14 am 

Hi guys, I never assumed for one minute that it was NASLite that was at fault...just trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have other linux units that I can automatically setup dhcp on them and then when Clarkconnect gives them their dynamic address - I can make it static if I want. I can't see why it is a problem to enter the static address that NASLite has to have - in dhcp Clarkconnect as static and have Clarkconnect acknowledge at the ip is actually active.

Sorry, for being ignorant!

bookie56

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 pm 

Got it.

It matters not if clarkconnect sees the static IP in use or not as long as it is out of the lease range of the DHCP server. It would seem that you are kind of chasing your tail here on this one since seeing the static IP in the DHCP lease table has NO effect of function or performance.

Is the NL available to all the machines that need to access it?

Does the performance it achieves match the hardware?

Is it stable and available 24/7?

If the answer to those questions are yes then there is not allot more to be said. I would say that you are getting the full performance and potential of the package as it is at this time. With the next release expect an improvement in both performance and supported hardware.

Best and welcome to the NL family.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 pm 

@bookie56: Have you restricted the DHCP range that clarkconnect uses to assign dynamic addresses? I have restricted the range that my router can assign so that my servers static IPs are outwith it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 pm 

Hi mikeiver1, I guess the answer to all of your questions is yes, so I will not worry about it as long as it is working.

Hi Nick, no I haven't restricted my dhcp range more than I have between 192.168.0.100 - 244. I have been checking this out and everything is working great. Just a case of making a few notes and remembering my NASLite ip address :D

I thankyou for your welcome and I will be dropping in from time to time.

Thanks again guys.

bookie56