NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrade 2.06 to M2 1.01
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 pm 

Hey Guys, I've been using NL 2 USB since 2.02, and am a big fan. I bought M2 a week or two ago, but am just getting the time to install it now. My server which is currently running 2.06, has no system drive and no CD drive, in fact there aren't even any free external 5.25 bays to install a CD drive, since I recently installed a SATA backplane. I'd like to know if there is anyway to install M2 on my current 2.06 stick by replacing the files. I know this used to work when upgrading from 2 USB to a newer version of 2 USB, but I tried it going to M2.. no go. It would load the files naslite01 and naslite02, then give me a message saying there was a kernal panic. Is there any way to install M2 on top of my current build and of course keep all my data accessible? Thanks a ton!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Since you are booting from USB, the best thing to do is install NASLite-M2 onto your USB device using the installer. M2 is larger and requires more space than what you have on the NASLite-2 install. Granted, you'll have to reconfigure, but that should take you no longer than a couple of minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:01 pm 

Thanks, Tony. I booted the CD on my iMac (Memtestx86 had errors, but that's another story) and did a fresh install of M2 1.01 on the old 2.06 USB stick. Just to make absolutely sure, I have to ask. When I reboot my server with this new M2 USB stick in, and reconfigure, remount, etc. All my data will sill be there, right? Thanks!

EDIT Later, after gettin' all pissy, I learned that Memtestx86+ is known to give false positives with Intel iMacs. Don't anyone else panic if they run this test on their Mac and get lots of errors.