NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 am 

Building a new NL box using ASUS motherboard P5QPL-VM (Intel chipset G41) with integrated 1Gb LAN and onboard Video. First thing when trying to boot the CD using an external USB DVD player is that it can't mount and do exit to turn off the computer so it is not possible to install the software. What causes the mounting problem? Is the problem perhaps with external USB DVD players? I fixed this by attaching the drive to another PC with internal DVD player for installing the software. I am using the latest version of NL M2.

Next after the install during boot time of Linux kernel I have this line:
PCI: Bios Bug #b1 (00000031) found
Any hints what that can be?

Next when NL is starting up
Detecting Network Device
Usage: grep (-ihHnqvs) PATTERN (FILEs..)
NETWORK (NONE FOUND) (FAILED)

Then the computer turns off

I can see that the onboard LAN is a REALTEK I have OK green light on the switch and the lights are on at the motherboard plug (orange blinking = 100Mb, should be green for 1Gb)
Does this mean the LAN on this board is not supported?

Thanks
Soren

I wish you could at least log in to NL and configure the system even if the LAN is not working.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:26 am 

you can't install form usb cdroms as you found out. the nic error just means the nic is not supported so you'll need another nic for naslite to work. the bios bug thing is for the kernel to worry about, so if it gets past that point, you are ok. read the hardware ref for nics that would work. that's the only issue you need to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm 

Yes but I still wonder why that is the case with USB CD-roms?

I got a NIC card that is supported so it is up running, also the BIOS BUG seems to have disappeared as well.

But I don't get the ACPI to work fully, there is no information except for the power button. I have activated ACPI in BIOS but still no available in NL.
Where can I look for the error?

Thanks

dimension wrote:
you can't install form usb cdroms as you found out. the nic error just means the nic is not supported so you'll need another nic for naslite to work. the bios bug thing is for the kernel to worry about, so if it gets past that point, you are ok. read the hardware ref for nics that would work. that's the only issue you need to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:10 pm 

soren:

I have some Supermicro boards running NL. The ACPI is not 100% either. Even on an Intel board there's some nonsensical stuff (like a constant CPU temperature). But power-button-shutdown and Wake-On-LAN work ... so I am happy. You'll probably have to live with some limitations like that ... too many proprietary implementations of hardware monitoring.

:) Georg