NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is NAS Lite M2 for me?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:29 pm 

Hi all,
I'm a noob at Linux OSs and NAS boxes, but probably like many of the folks here who have taken spare boxes, mobo, hard drives, etc... to build their NASs, but I wonder if what I'm expecting to end up with is what NasLite is for.
I want a headless box that, once its set up, only has a power cable and CAT-5 plugged into it, that serves up streaming music and video as well as houses back ups of pics and documents.
From what I've read in the forums so far, NASLite provides all of that, except the ethernet part. Am I just missing it? All I've really recognized so far is USB, FireWire, IDE, etc...
Like I said, I know its a noob question, but I'd like to know I'm plunking down $40 for the right thing.
Thanks all,
5G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:21 am 

Naslite will give you a headless box with just power and ethernet cables connected to it. It will do what you are asking just fine. The manual is online on the documentation page so best take a look there first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am 

So you want to run the same setup I have been running for the last four and a half years do you?

Yes, it works just fine like that. Those other interfaces are for the drive connection options though so work far better than others in regards to speed. Stick with the PATA and or SATA interfaces.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 am 

I've been using NASLite-2 as my server operating system for about two years now and it's never lost a file.

The M2 variant adds various protocols for streaming content - and does so very well - I can "see" my server using my XBox 360 and access content on it.

Simply put - it just works.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 pm 

Sold!
Thanks all for the reassurance. I'm sure you'll see me around the forums again trying to figure out how to set it up ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:25 pm 

5ifthgear wrote:
Sold!
Thanks all for the reassurance. I'm sure you'll see me around the forums again trying to figure out how to set it up ;)

You just may be missing the point, RTFM and if you have half a brain you will not need them! It is rather easy to setup, fact is that if you read the menus everything is fairly clear out of the box. I didn't even read the manual the first time I installed the software, it was that simple and it still is.

But if you do get stuck post here and we will walk you thorough it. Likely the sticking point will be the license key, Install, configure, then put in the key, save the config again and reboot, all should be good. Also make sure to turn off all the stuff on the motherboard and remove any cards that are not going to be used.

Mike