NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to speed things up?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 pm 

I have run NasLite for 2-3 years on a Lacie NAS server, I got tired of the Lacie systems as it broke several times. I have been very happy with the NasLite system so I upgraded to the new M2 system to use for my music and to attach external drives, Before the upgrade I use to see movies from the NasLite system connected to both wireless and cable attached computers without any problems at all. Now with the upgrade using the same system I can not see movies anymore as it halts every 5-10 seconds, it seems not to be able to deliver data fast enough. I find it very slow to copy files as well. Is the new services like DAAP and UPNP slowing down the line? I just moved 100 Mb from the local computer to the NasLite wireless and it took almost 3 minutes to finish. I tried to copy 80 Gb from Disk 3 to Disk 2 on the NasLite system overnight. It told me 82 hours to finish and in the morning I had to stop it as it was not even a third way finished.

It was much faster before, so I wonder if there is something I can look at or to turn off. Would the system be faster when turning of such as FTP, RSYNC, SMB/CIFS etc and just use the things you need? Or is there other things you can look at?

I guess when you are happy with a system... never change :D
I want this to work or else I will downgrade to get my speed back again as now it is tooooo slow

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:24 pm 

First of all I assume that you are still running on the same Lacie hardware. These NAS units are generally very limited in both processor horse power and memory and though worked fine with the older NL distro you have been running it will likely be that you can't run the likes of DAAP and UPNP as these will take quite a bit of power to service the daemons. My advice is turn off everything you do not need running, you will notice a difference. If this doesn't work then you will likely have to down grade or move to other hardware more suited to the present NASLite OS.

Mike