NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ralph and I are contemplating backing out video formats from the NASLite-M2 DAAP export altogether with the hopes to avoid some of the confusion MAC users seem to experience. Note that NASLite-M2 supports DAAP only and not DMAP or DPAP.

Any comments on the topic are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:05 pm 

Personally, I've bought M2 just for that.

MB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm 

Since it doesn't work as hoped, I wouldn't really miss the function, but it would be nice if you and Ralph were able to make it more compliant. We abandon hope then, that the issues that plague iTunes video will be resolved any time soon? Maybe for a future release?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:41 pm 

This is truly amazing. :roll:

MB and Scott, if you'd humor me and take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Au ... s_Protocol and see if you can find the word video anywhere. Video seems to sorta work on the MAC because osx for some strange reason decides to identify the video files once you click on the cover art, snap your fingers, and say a chant or something. On windows it does not work at all no matter what you click. All I get is funny files in my music collection that are not really music. And, yeah I got the firefly server supports video bit. Been there done that and it doesn't really work as itunes does. Actually it's sorta like the way naslite does it.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'd love to see video in my windows itunes but it sounds like apple needs to share. Until then them are the apples.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Tony wrote:
Ralph and I are contemplating backing out video formats from the NASLite-M2 DAAP export altogether with the hopes to avoid some of the confusion MAC users seem to experience. Note that NASLite-M2 supports DAAP only and not DMAP or DPAP.

Any comments on the topic are appreciated.

I think for the time being video formats will remain. Ralph is doing some work that may improve matters in future releases. Until then, any information, tips tricks or pointers are welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:20 pm 

dimension wrote:

MB and Scott, if you'd humor me and take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Au ... s_Protocol and see if you can find the word video anywhere. Video seems to sorta work on the MAC because osx for some strange reason decides to identify the video files once you click on the cover art, snap your fingers, and say a chant or something. On windows it does not work at all no matter what you click. All I get is funny files in my music collection that are not really music. And, yeah I got the firefly server supports video bit. Been there done that and it doesn't really work as itunes does. Actually it's sorta like the way naslite does it.

Don't get me wrong guys. I'd love to see video in my windows itunes but it sounds like apple needs to share. Until then them are the apples.

This is the second time you have responded to one of my comments with flames on. I've already stated once that I don't participate in p***ing contests, but since you seem bent on assumption, I will break form just once to assert my position:

What is truly amazing is that you seem to have a penchant for flaming everything that doesn't fit your narrow semantical perception. If you will re-read Tony's post, he was asking for opinions on whether the video streaming that is incorporated into M2 should be eliminated. I believe I answered that. Tony's post also made clear that M2 supports DAAP only. I don't believe MB, I or anyone else needs a lesson on acronyms, protocol specs or undocumented behaviors of OS X, especially when it is accompanied by condescension. And prefacing condescending remarks with "humor me" makes them no less so. I am well aware of what DAAP stands for and resent the implication that I am somehow incapable of distinguishing DAAP from DMAP or comprehending their respective meanings and capabilities.

For the benefit of your tunnel vision, the "it" I was referring to was M2 and "compliant" refers to my hope that M2 will evolve into a fully DAAP/DMAP/DPAP compliant server. And I suspect that, since you were the only one to question my comment, you are probably the only one that this was lost on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:57 pm 

Scott, i'm not flaming you friend. All I'm doing is participating in the discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:42 pm 

Quote:
. . .take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Au ... s_Protocol and see if you can find the word video anywhere. . .

Sorry, I must be alone in my interpretation of these words as argumentative. Seemed to me like you were debating my comment in a condescending manner rather than participating in a discussion. If this was not the intended meaning of your comment, then I apologize.

Perhaps I am still sore about your apparent need to educate me about DAAP by first accusing me of having ADD:
http://www.serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2572&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75

Now, you did apologize for and retract the ADD comment, which is good, but you also had to throw in a disclaimer for the rest of your remarks. Highlighting missed points and your condescending footnotes (esp #3) showed a total lack of respect. Granted, Tony was a little miffed and strong worded in his reply to me, but he at least showed respect.

Then your next post to me starts out:

Quote:

Forgive me if your former and current comments and "eyes rolling" emoticon make me think of you as a troll.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm 

A troll? :shock: You know that's not nice dude.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 am 

dimension wrote:
A troll? :shock: You know that's not nice dude.

Ok, a little strong. Just wanted you to get my point. Just don't assume others are clueless. Correction is appreciated, but not derision. I'll leave it at that.