NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:38 pm 

I have an intel Mac using OSX 10.5.6 with NASlite M2. I have 2 160 GB drives on the NAS. I thought that the shares folder (using SMB on Mac) was used to move files between Drives faster. However, when i tried to move some of my movie files (110GB) from Disk-1 to Disk-0 in the shares folder I was unable because the drive size reported from the shares folder was only 6.6 MB available. I was able to move the files but not using the shares folder (about 2 hours to move). Is this normal?

Thanks Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:09 pm 

Although I haven't experienced your particular problem (I use AFP with my Macs), I have found that SMB on the Mac is a little quirky. For instance, in some cases in a typical home network, SMB shares will not appear in the "Networks" list (command-shift-K) until you log on via "Connect to server" with the IP of the shared computer's folder in Finder. This happens to me regardless of whether I have my Mac workgroup set correctly or not. In fact, using "Connect to server" I am able to log on to any Windows workgroup regardless of the workgroup I have defined in my network settings for SMB. I suspect that Apple's implemetation of SMB doesn't fully comply with the SMB spec, but this is just my opinion. Because of this I would assume that any weird action when using SMB on a Mac is "normal". I have found that it is best to use AFP when possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 pm 

I tend to agree that SMB and Mac may be the issue. I do use AFP, but I enabled SMB (just for this move) because I thought that I could move the files faster using the Shares Folder. I just thought that the Shares folder size unusual.

Thanks Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Shares is a logical export that provides access to all Disk-X physical storage drives. The Shares export is actually located in the root filesystem (RAM Disk) and does in fact have only 6M free. The problem is that OSX tries to do the thinking for you and incorrectly disallows the transfer based on the assumption there isn't enough room. Vista has the same problem.