NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UPnP questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 am 

Hey guys, been a user of NASLite2 for a while, recently upgraded to M@ last weekend and everything is going great (including my KVM working properly with NASLite now :D ).

Anyways, here are my questions.

1. How often does the UPnP refresh it's shares (or does it)? I was playing with ushare on another system prior to M2 being released and I had to manually refresh the ushare shares either by restarting ushare or running a cron job that would hit the ushare web page.

2. I know I can refresh the upnp share through the terminal but would it be possible to add that function into the html status (I see that the ushare web page is disabled on M2 so I can't get it that way).

Thanks a bunch!

Post subject: Re: UPnP questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

We did discuss that at design time and here is our reasoning:

a) We assumed the installation is first and foremost a NAS with additional responsibilities other than UPnP streaming.
b) We assumed that media content on the NAS will not change often enough to warrant a frequent rescan.

If we cron the rescan, that can be costly in resources especially with large libraries - potentially causing streaming problems. To minimize the possibility, we can time a lengthy interval between rescans but that also has drawbacks. We assumed once you add a file or files, you'd probably want to view them immediately instead of wait for the rescan event to launch, so you'd manually rescan anyway.

With that in mind, we arrived to the setup you see before you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:14 pm 

Thanks Tony,

Would it be possible to allow in future release to schedule a rescan? Say for instance I have an automated process to add videos to my library over night. If I am able to schedule a scan to run in hours where I know I won't be streaming anything, then the hit on resources should be acceptable and transparent to my end users.

As for the manual rescan, will it always remain in the telnet screen?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hm,

We can probably set a daily rescan event where you can define the time (00 to 23 GMT) like the mirror event. Is that what you are thinking?

Manual can stay as is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:00 pm 

That's exactly what I was thinking and I can live with the manual rescan as it is. If I can set a time for rescan (kind of like setting the time for doing rsync mirroring), I think that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds reasonable...

I'll add it to the list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 am 

Hi,

Im wondering if this feature request has been actioned? I have noticed that my media content is not up to date via upnp and i need to reindex manually to see it.

I am using the latest release M2 x64 1.64

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm 

I recently purchased M2, updating an existing NASLite-2 server, specifically for UPNP functionality, for my new PS3.

I just noticed this exact issue and frankly find it ridiculous that, in order to watch a "new" video (recently placed on the M2 server) on my PS3, I have to log into the M2's CLI, go through a menu, and "refresh" it (Services Configuration / DAAP/UPNP Options / UPNP Reindex Content).

It looks like it's been 2 years since requests to address this were mentioned in this thread (either a scheduled refresh or an easier refresh through the Web UI), but it doesn't seem to have been addressed yet (let me know if that's not true).

As it stands now, my update to M2 was a waste of time and money. The manual refresh procedure is completely impractical.

Will this be addressed? If so, when?