NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 am 

Hi guys,

Is their a step by step guide to setting the server software up.
I admit to being a complete numbskull when it comes to linux...
I downloaded it yesterday and I have the following motherboard

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products ... p?gpid=188

Without anything new..... should I be able to run NASLite-M2.

I ran the cd and installed to one of the hdd's.

The first thing I get is - PCI- cannot allocate resource region 1 of device 00:14.0
the and ieeee error.

It will boot past these but if I put in a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 which is the router ip (after putting the license code in)
I get a fail error when trying to validate the license, with a greb error and no network found?

i've tried disabling the on-board card and using a netgear fa311 r2 card and still have the same error

please help!!

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 am 

i am no expert but will try and answer

dont worry about the pci errors - no idea what they mean but if the system boots then fine - there are posts here with explanations - search will help

where are you putting the router ip in - you dont need that - you should be putting in a unique id for the nas box - one that is not used anywhere else on the system

dont forget to save the config every time you change something

no idea on the network cards - but get the ip right first

once you have saved the info a reboot is usually required

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 am 

I seem to have it sorted at the moment :D

Are you able to rename the drives? i.e. video, music, pics, backup etc?

cheers guys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:13 am 

I just added a 500gb hdd to the system. It loaded first time and I formatted the drive, saved config and rebooted.
the system now just stops on checking filesystem disk0

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:23 am 

as a clean drive i would have thought it would have rebooted fine but if its decided to do a check it can take a while - 30 minutes or more - dont know if thats the case on a drive with no data on it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm 

First off, leave the gateway field blank, it opens you up to the internet.

Second, the PCI issues are likely caused by you having a number of devices turned on in the BIOS that don't need to be. Turn off every thing that you don't need, Floppy, Serial and parallel ports, unused PATA or SATA channels, sound, modems etc. This will free up IRQs and DMAs for use by the system allowing faster and more reliable operation of the OS. Another thing to try is moving the NIC to a different PCI lost and see if it clears up the issues, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

OK been having a mess about .

I know this may just be a limitation of my network but just in case I thought I would ask the kindly people on the forum.

Ok i'm gonna transfer all my stuff from a linkstation live to my newly built NASlit-m2 Nas.......

Does 86.6gb in 18 hours sound about right??????

I have bought s SIS900 10/100 n/work card due to my other 2 (both with 8931D chipset) not fully working.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me i'll just have to patient

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 pm 

A 100Mbps link will at best give you a sustained 11MB/sec transfer rate. This is assuming well tuned NIC drivers on something like an Intel based card. You should expect something more in the 3-9MB/sec range. This should work out to around 4 hours to transfer the data, BUT.... The linkstation may be a real dog on transfers, and like most of those devices, be processor and/or memory bound. Add to the mix that they generally have allot of other processes running like print servers and support for other network protocols and you got a transfer rate of 2-3MB/sec.

My advice is that you also run a check to verify that the data not only copied but remained uncorrupted from the transfer.

Another thing, get a GOOD gigabit NIC (I like Intel, and older 3Com and Netgear cards) for your NASLite box, even if you are plugging it into a 100Mb switch. It will just drop back to 100 Mb speeds. While you're at it get your self a gigabit switch, they are dirt cheap now and you will say to your self "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm 

Ok,

Have transferred load of stuff across.

Now!!

I ran a test to see video playback....... using the same machine on the same network, the linkstation 720p .mkv ran flawlessly but the exact same file from the NASLite-m2 box was dropping frames left right and centre..

My box is a spare pc I had (Mac user now!!!)

Amd 4800
2gb ram
sis900 NIC
2x320 sata
1x250gb ide
1x120gb ide

any ideas, as I thought like above ^^^ that the linkstations had a pretty poor processor in them

help!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm 

Try moving the NIC to a different PCI slot, sounds like you are having a shared IRQ issue which is a no no for a NAS implementation.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Try disabling unnecessary devices in the BIOS, enable ACPI and make sure IRQs are automatically assigned. Enable PnP and try again. If that does not improve performance, please post a syslog.