NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 pm 

I've recently purchased M2, as much to support Server Elements as for the new features. This evening, I went to install it on my existing NASlite 2 box, which boots from a USB.

I noticed that the new M2 unified installer does not give the option to create a BOOTABLE PARTITION on the USB (as previous NASlite releases provided). My motherboard requires a bootable partition on the USB to be able to boot from it. As a result, my system would not boot from the USB created by the M2 installer.

Please return BOOTABLE PARTITION type to the USB installer. Until then, M2 is not useful for me...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Drew,

The new installer does create a bootable partition on USB devices, however we've found that some system BIOS will not boot the new format. The reason for the new format is to allow unused space on the boot media to be utilized as storage. We are currently working on resolving that issue and will be providing the previous format options in the next release.

Thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:52 am 

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing... In previous versions of NASlite's USB installer, there was the configuration option to create a "bootable partition" on the USB drive. I need that option in order to be able to boot from my USB -- the BIOS won't boot from any of the other installation options (I tried them all).

Is that what you're working to fix in M2?

Also, previously you said that I could upgrade my NASlite to M2 simply by copying the *.01 and *.02 files from the M2 CD to the USB stick. Would that still work if the USB is currently formatted as a "bootable partition"? IE: Can I peform the upgrade from NASlite 2 to M2 that way?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Admin

vogelap wrote:
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing... In previous versions of NASlite's USB installer, there was the configuration option to create a "bootable partition" on the USB drive. I need that option in order to be able to boot from my USB -- the BIOS won't boot from any of the other installation options (I tried them all).

Is that what you're working to fix in M2?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Currently, in order to allow free space to be used as storage, the installer has to create two partitions on the USB flash. The two partitions is what causes BIOS to misidentify the device. The intent is to allow an option at installation time to format in the exact same way as NASLite-USB. That however creates the potential of overwriting the boot device by formatting it for storage in the admin. Such condition has to be handled properly prior to making the option available.

At any rate, it will most definitely be included in the next release of NASLite-M2 (v1.01) and NASLite-2 (v2.11)

vogelap wrote:
Also, previously you said that I could upgrade my NASlite to M2 simply by copying the *.01 and *.02 files from the M2 CD to the USB stick. Would that still work if the USB is currently formatted as a "bootable partition"? IE: Can I peform the upgrade from NASlite 2 to M2 that way?

That should work properly. Simply format the USB flash with NASLite-2 USB, then replace naslite.01 and naslite.02 on the flash using the files from the CD-ROM. Alternately, if you have an ISO editor, you can replace the two files in the NASLite-2 USB ISO, burn another disk and use it as if it was NASLite-M2 USB. Just stay clear of the boot device - M2 as it stands will allow you to format it, essentially killing the boot partition.

Hope that helps :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That should work properly. Simply format the USB flash with NASLite-2 USB, then replace naslite.01 and naslite.02 on the flash using the files from the CD-ROM. Alternately, if you have an ISO editor, you can replace the two files in the NASLite-2 USB ISO, burn another disk and use it as if it was NASLite-M2 USB. Just stay clear of the boot device - M2 as it stands will allow you to format it, essentially killing the boot partition.
I forgot to post this after it was mentioned elsewhere. In hindsight the above process will not work for NASLite-M2 since the NASLite-2 boot partition is too small to hold the NASLite-M2 OS. The fix is already implemented and will be available in next release.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm 

Tony wrote:
Quote:
I forgot to post this after it was mentioned elsewhere. In hindsight the above process will not work for NASLite-M2 since the NASLite-2 boot partition is too small to hold the NASLite-M2 OS. The fix is already implemented and will be available in next release.

That's the issue I bumped into when trying this method.

Tony, will you please post in this thread when the next release is available?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Couple to three weeks provided all goes well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:51 am 

Quote:

What size is adequate for the M2 OS?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Admin

NASLite-2 and NASLite-M2 use 5M and 7M boot partitions respectively.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:46 am 

Any news on this one :?:
I was trying to make a bootable USB drive with the NASLite M2 ISO but it's not really working.
So I figured out by reading this post, that we'll have to wait untill ServerElements provides this in the new update...

When is this update planned? Since the last post in this topic is from July '09... Right now it's 28-12-2009 and I still can't find the option.
Is there any way to fix this myself. Because the machine wich I bought the software for doesn't have a CD-Rom player nor am I buying one just to get this thing up and running.

Please help. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 am 

Hello BrainPulse:

There is a new version available. I don't use M2, but NL2 instead with bootable USB. But be aware that as ridiculous as it seems to me, even my relatively modern Dell (Core2Duo) motherboard refuses to boot the USB stick that works just fine in other systems. I've tried several different sticks and have not solved the issue. I suspect it's a problem in BIOS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:20 am 

georg wrote:
Hello BrainPulse:

There is a new version available. I don't use M2, but NL2 instead with bootable USB. But be aware that as ridiculous as it seems to me, even my relatively modern Dell (Core2Duo) motherboard refuses to boot the USB stick that works just fine in other systems. I've tried several different sticks and have not solved the issue. I suspect it's a problem in BIOS.

Thanks for your quick reply,
Too bad I really need the M2 version because of the DAAP and UPNP for media streaming to ie itunes and my XBox 360.
And I was not planning to buy yet another licence for the NL2+USB version just to get it booted using USB since I already paid $35 for the M2 version.

Another question... about the licence.
I'm now testing the software on one of my PC's 'with' a CD-Rom for testing purposes only. If I want to install the software permanently on another system, will this cause any licencing problems? do i have to 'unlicence' the testing device? Or am I able to install this software on as many systems as I want? (Just out of curiosity... Not planning to do so since I only need one NAS-device 8) )
As it is working right now I must say, I'm pretty happy with this piece of software.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by BrainPulse on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 am 

if you bought M2 within the last 6 months you can get the new version free - that will have all the support Georg talked about that is in NL2 - its a free download so worth looking at

if you bought more than 6 months ago you can renew your license for a few $'s and then get the new version free

you can move the software from system to system as and when you want - all you need is a new unlock code

i think it has been posted that there is no objection to running the same license on a second system for a while - for testing or to allow upgrading your system - as long as you finally only have one working nas - please dont quote me on that - i emphasize - i think!