NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:01 am 

Hi All,

Yesterday ?ve installed NasLite M2 on my system. The NAS boots up from a CF so I preferred to install it on a new one instead of upgrading the existing CF.

My Nas has 3 disks shared and two of them host media files that, just out of coincidence, are in a "Media" (case is important) under the root folder. So I had:

\\DISK-2\Media
\\DISK-3\Media

After booting up and configuring the system I've found out two new directory called MEDIA (and not Media). On both disks the MEDIA and Media directories links to the same "disk space" but on DISK-2 the content is absolutely empty. I mean, checking the disk space I see the files are still there but if you browse the directory both of them are just empty.

So I'm in the current situation:

\\DISK-3\MEDIA with my old files in it
\\DISK-2\MEDIA empty

I will try this evening to boot up with the previous NasLite version and see if the files can be still browsed, but I think there should be some problems. Any idea on how to recover them?

Also, Is not clear how to stream to bot the AppleTV and the Sony PS3.

The AppleTV doesn't see the new NAS (clearly DAAP and UPNP are active) and the PS3 do not find any media server on the network.

All the machines are in the same lan, NasLite on a Gigabit network and the AppleTV and the PS3 on a Apple Extreme-N WiFi AP.

Probably the second problem is connected to the first but, any idea on how to troubleshoot them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:44 am 

Using ftp look for the two media folders on the drive. Dont use windows explorer but a real ftp client. Rename the Media folder to something different. Windoes is not case sensitive so both show up as one and the same. After that reboot and see what you get.

AppleTV is not a daap client so i don't think you'll ever get it to work with naslite unless you hack it. I said that before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 am 

dimension wrote:
Using ftp look for the two media folders on the drive. Dont use windows explorer but a real ftp client. Rename the Media folder to something different. Windoes is not case sensitive so both show up as one and the same. After that reboot and see what you get.

Thanks, I will try to see what happened, strangely the two disks had different behaviors.

dimension wrote:
AppleTV is not a daap client so i don't think you'll ever get it to work with naslite unless you hack it. I said that before.

And this is bad, I honestly hoped to have M2 able to stream on the AppleTV, I even remember a thread talking about this possibility. I will crawl the forums.

Anybody from ServerElements able to comment that?

MB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

I'm unaware of any servers other than genuine iTunes that work with a stock appleTV. That's not to say there aren't any, so if someone has examples for us to research, please post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm 

mbmobile wrote:
dimension wrote:

Thanks, I will try to see what happened, strangely the two disks had different behaviors.

Thanks Dimension it worked, via FTP the files were still available.

MB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:17 am 

No big deal, running unix clients with naslite you sort of get used to windows and it's problems. How's your ps3 doing with m2? Got my to play pretty much all of my stuff. Divx and mp3 mostly. So far m2 has been very very good to me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 am 

dimension wrote:
No big deal, running unix clients with naslite you sort of get used to windows and it's problems. How's your ps3 doing with m2? Got my to play pretty much all of my stuff. Divx and mp3 mostly. So far m2 has been very very good to me. :)

I haven't tested it fully yet. Apart of the lack of AppleTV support delusion, I still didn't had the time to test M2 with the PS3. After having it installed I've set the PS to look for mediaservers and it found nothing.

Do you have an idea of which video and audio format the PS3 can get from M2? Do Apple formats (without DRM) work with M2?

Anyway, at this point I do not value the availability of the DAAP protocol if it cannot be used to sync Apple TVs.

Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 am 

I hear you on the appletv, but that's apple's doing and not naslite or daap. They really closed that thing up for whatever reason. It's kind of married to itunes in every way.

Your ps3 should be able to see naslite-m2 if you have upnp on with the ps3 profile. That and obviously your ps3 must be networked to the same lan.

Not sure on the formats yet. Got to play some more with it. I guess that if the ps3 can play it locally then it should probably work streaming from the nas.