NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am 

um, i don't think wmp11 can be a upnp client. Not sure but i think it's just a server. Not a clue about the media center. If your clients support mapping a drive, why bother with upnp? it just adds a ton of unnecessary overhead to what you got going. Like i said, i think the problem is your client.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am 

Ok well I still need the uPNP server working as I'll be installing a home audio system (sonos) that requires a uPNP NAS and i need to know if it works. Does VLC media player support uPNP streaming?

Further, was watching the startup and uPNP service seems to take a long time in comparison to the others to start. is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am 

Indexing happens at boot and may take some time depending on your library. The best i can tell, what you are seeing is no different than what i get on my end, so i guess it's normal. as far as the sonos, you need to do some research. I don't know anything about it so I googled it and it sounds like it doesn't support upnp at all but some proprietary zone thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 am 

yeah i see that with sonos. although i think some of the new competitors onto the market are using upnp. it would be nice to know if it was working but i can't get a client to pick up anything. i'm getting 'no files have been found on this remote library' in WMP despite it showing up as a media server on the network.

I've only put about three albums in the media folder so it's not a big index

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 am 

Take a look at on2share

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:22 pm 

There are few software options for testing if NASLite is serving your media correctly via uPNP. Videolan VLC does not do uPNP. I believe that WMP 11 does if it's running on Vista, but not with XP. Intel does a set of tools that are intended for diagnostic purposes for checking uPNP. They do not actually allow you to play the media, but you can see if the server is detected or not and see listings of the individual media files. You can download at http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/a ... m#anchor_3

Another option is XBMC Media Center but I have found it to be very flaky on an Ubuntu Linux machine. As a last resort, you could also download the trial of Corel WinDVD. It works, but it's slow and it's a large download.

If somebody would write a uPNP add-on for Songbird (http://getsongbird.com/) then that would be a winner. Either of the DAAP add-ons work well with the DAAP server.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 am 
Site Admin

The original "naslite DAAP" is not responding. (-3260) error is now corrected in the development version and will be properly handled in the next (v1.02) release.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:42 am 

So I see we have a couple of new versions of Naslite recently. How's the DAAP daemon now with those MP3 files that were causing it to crash? It's been a couple of months. Have we made any progress?

John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm 

I've upgraded to 1.02 and I'm still getting the daap error message of 3260 as well...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've upgraded to 1.02 and I'm still getting the daap error message of 3260 as well...

You need to wait for your media to be indexed before it's available.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm 

Ralph wrote:
Quote:

You need to wait for your media to be indexed before it's available.

And the answer to my question is...?

John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

All the changes were detailed in the emails and are posted on here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:10 pm 

now see, I have roughly a 300gig music drive.. it's been several days? with the aggressive setting... really that long?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

with the aggressive setting the DAAP daemon needs to read every single music file from start to finish, with that amount of data you may want to set it to fast.

Also, check the system status page and verify DAAP is running, memory use will be 0 if it died.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:47 pm 

In the interest of credit where it's due - this latest version seems to have completely fixed the issue I was having. It's working perfectly. Thank you guys.

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next