NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NASLite-M2 Status Update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Admin

NASLite-M2 leverages the existing NASLite-2 core, so hardware support will be in-line with what you've seen to date. The emphasis of development has been on producing a light-weight UPnP/DAAP server that will provide good multimedia streaming performance without degrading existing NAS functionality. We realize that in theory that is a trivial task - just add the necessary services, but in practice it is considerably more involved, especially if resource usage is of concern.

Most of the development time in the last few weeks has been centered around the installer. Our goal, as mentioned in an earlier post, is to go away with the CDD/USB/HDD versions in favor of a single distribution that will run live directly from the CD (as with CDD) as well as install and run off of SCSI, SATA, IDE, FW or USB hard drive including RAID or FLASH. Emphases on device auto-detection has proven very important especially with USB flash devices in which case enforcing a specific drive geometry and a modified boot sector is necessary. That, plus the option for superfloppy format in order to allow for kicker floppy assisted boot is also a requirement.

Anyway, integrating the multiboot with the configurator logic has proven a bit more time-consuming than anticipated and has taken longer to implement properly. With the almost-final installer, M2 appears to be in good order and will undergo some more tests and abuse in the following couple of weeks. The release date will likely be pushed back into September until Ralph and I feel comfortable with all the new code.

As always your questions and comments are welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 am 

Have an option to buy an extra copy of Naslite2 with a trade-up option to M2 now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:20 am 

Thanks for the update Tony. I'm definitely anxious for the release but am happy to hear that you guys are making sure it's right before putting it out for us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:02 am 

Yes Thanks a lot for the update.
In my opinion it is better to have a closer look in the code before releasing it before everyone is uncomfortable with that only to be in time line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:00 pm 

Thank you for posting a update about NASLite-M2!

It is past August 15 then I looked for the 31 for it to be out. But now September. Can see why to have it work to be an all in one install. I just want to use it on a HDD. But if ever it would be neat USB, CDD.

I think people are wanting NAS servers that are low power now. So this new NASLite-M2 I hope works with new motherboards. I think it will. It's neat they are bring out low power systems now. Before I was even thinking of using a old laptop for a NAS server. But now they have like the cheep Atom CPU out and NASLite don't work with it yet. It takes very little power and runs at 1.6 MHz now. They my come out with a faster one later.

I am looking forword to NASLite-M2. It sounds like it's going to be a super good NASLite!

Thank you for doing this.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 pm 

Ray,

I don't mean to be mean but at times it becomes painful to read your posts and try and decode what you're trying to convey with all the grammar errors it contains. Do you ever go back and re-read what you have typed? If English is your second language then it is excusable, if not then I might suggest a re-read and edit to help get your point across.

I spend allot of time on the web and so am able to figure out what most are trying to say but it can be a bit draining at times. For clarity this would much easier on all involved.

Thank you for posting a update about NASLite-M2!

Thanks for the update on the pending release of M2!

It is past August 15 then I looked for the 31 for it to be out. But now September. Can see why to have it work to be an all in one install. I just want to use it on a HDD. But if ever it would be neat USB, CDD.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed at the continued setback of the release date. First we were told August 15th, then the end of August, now it is looking like some time in September. I do understand why you are going to a single image release of the install utility. For my needs, HDD boot is just fine. It will be nice to have the option of building a boot from a CDROM or a USB key should the need should arise.

I think people are wanting NAS servers that are low power now. So this new NASLite-M2 I hope works with new motherboards. I think it will. It's neat they are bring out low power systems now. Before I was even thinking of using a old laptop for a NAS server. But now they have like the cheep Atom CPU out and NASLite don't work with it yet. It takes very little power and runs at 1.6 MHz now. They my come out with a faster one later.

I think that there is a general trend toward more energy efficient NAS appliances and I hope M2 will support the newer, more energy efficient mother boards coming on the market now. It's neat that the manufacturers are starting to bring out low power options suitable to NAS applications. One of the really attractive options are the Intel Atom CPU based boards. I don't think that NASLite has support for this hardware yet, I hope M2 does. They run on very little power and clock at 1.6GHz. There might even be faster clockings in the future.

I am looking forword to NASLite-M2. It sounds like it's going to be a super good NASLite!

I am really looking forward to the release of M2, by all indications it looks like it is going to be a super follow on product to NASLite!

Thank you for doing this.

Thanks for all your efforts guys,

-Raymond Day

I know some might think me the dick for this but..... Sorry. Just know that my intentions are not cruel in any way. If you can present yourself better on paper, or the internet as it were, then it does translate to the real world.

Best,

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 pm 

Thanks Mike!

You can say it a lot better then me! That was very good showing how better I could of said it.

I am not good at spelling some words so I reword thing so I can spell them good. Not the same as I talk.

I only know english. When I was 1, 2, and 3 years old. I got sick with mump, misols, and chickpots I think it was. So my Mom gave me what the doctors said to something called like thenabarberall. I can't spell.

I am good at some things but bad at other like wording and spelling even reading good.

But I can fix computers and I have programed in Z80, 6502 and basic. Can fix a lot of things too. Good at that type stuff. You can see on here that I made my own box too for a small PC, things like that. Know Linux commands good too.

Like I set up a Ubuntu server waiting for NASLite-M2 to come out. They make it super easy and I love the http info. pages and just no long setup for NASLite.

I wish I could word and spell good like you. It's very neat to see you say it better then I do thank you Mike.

I do reread things too and some times the 3rd time I can do a fix again.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 pm 

No problem, I cant write machine code so I guess we are even! :D

I don't spell to well either, I just use the spell checker in Mozilla, ALLOT!!!!

Sentence structure is a whole different matter and seemed to come to me only after years of practice and observation. I would suggest that you read allot of books and note how they piece an idea or story together. I am dyslexic and have over the years worked at catching my self at it. Funny but it helped me to learn to fix my writing, that or look like a dolt to those I wrote to. The brain is a remarkable computer and it can compensate for some rather serious problems if you want it to, it is all a matter of wrote behavior. Repeat anything enough times and it becomes second nature, writing is just another behavior that can be learned.

If I have the time i would be happy to help you with some of the writing in the same way I did above if you think it may be of help.

Best,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:59 pm 

So when can we buy it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:51 pm 

Tony informed me that he and Ralph are working on a few bugs and monkey wrenches Apple so kindly threw into the mix. They are close and we should see it really soon. Thank Apple for the latest holdup.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am 

Any additional info to share on M2? :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:05 am 

Also will be interesting to know:

1) around when M2 will be released. End of October? End of 2008? End of 2009?
2) it will be possible to stop the automatic File System Check in case someone needs to have the NAS up and running in a short time.
3) There will be the opportunity to have an extended (eventually paid) support instead of relying on the goodwill of the people reading the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:06 pm 

mbmobile wrote:
End of 2009?
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am 

Any news on the release status?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:19 pm 

Will Xmas bring something?

All of this is becoming funny...