NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome to M2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:11 pm 

flinstone wrote:
-I did Google on the time machine drive. There was an option where you could input a view commands in the terminal an "Boom" it should work. After this Time machine sees the drives but refuses to make a backup. (getting the drive out the NASlite box to start a backup internal and than swap it back isn't an option in my house cause of various reasons).

i had the same experience as you in regards to Time Machine. I could select the NasLite share, get it all configured to run, but it would always fail. i also tried making the archive locally and copying it to the NasLite share (this worked on another mac-based network share) but it likewise failed to work.

I would love to get Time Machine working on my NasLite system, but so far a no go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 am 

I had TM working at one time with Naslite, but latest updates broke something. I had to write a file on the disk through nfs first tho. Don't remember what exactly but will try to dig it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:23 am 

flinstone wrote:
The only thing here witch is not perfect is that only one at a time can use iTunes..

Let me tell you how VERY satisfied I am with the current NASLite. Not once in all those months a missing file, every day automated backup to the third HD (the other two drives are in a RAID 1 array), XP indexing service -to my surprise- effortless, and as for streaming media: just perfect. I use MediaMonkey -by far the best player available, and I can use MM simultaneously on three computers (that's what I have), meanwhile stream it from my desktop computer through that little Logitech USB gadget to my living room stereo, and even start/stop/switch songs from the couch.

Why would I need M2?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Admin

We can confirm that latest OS X updates have caused TM not to work with NASLite. Ralph is working on resolving that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

I'm really excited about the pending release of M2. I have a Windows box running TVersity to stream my NASLite shares over to the PS3 that I would love to get rid of.

So is it time to retire my fanless celeron400 with 128meg of ram, or will it be able to manage serving up 10's of thousands of audio files, thousands of pictures, and hundreds of video files over DLNA?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:31 am 

That depends on just how many computers are going to be accessing the NL box at the same time. If the answer is 2 or 3 then the answer is no. The Celeron is just fine for the task. If you have a bit more RAM that won't hurt any either, 256MB should be good. It is more important that you have a good NIC in the box, preferably gigabit, and a good switch, again gigabit. Second, fast drives will help when serving up multiple files at the same time off of the same drive. No matter how fast the processor is it is still going to have to wait on the drive to get it the data to throw out the the client.

Hope that helps.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm 

2 or 3 should cover it. It's an old Asus P2B, not sure if it will take 256meg, but it's worth a look. NIC is GigE as are all the switches on the lan. Iops are mostly constrained by the PCI bus, but that could change if I need more CPU time to index the media.

I've been meaning to replace it with a low power EPIA board but I haven't found one at retail with onboard gigE. This board has been rock solid for about a decade so I've just been letting it run.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:09 pm 

Tony wrote:
We can confirm that latest OS X updates have caused TM not to work with NASLite. Ralph is working on resolving that.

Thanks Tony for your reply.
Does this mean that Spotlight will work as well? (Googled again and found totally nothing of importance on this subject (@ Ralf))
A link/ URL would be of much help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 am 

Tony, Ralph, you've been quiet lately. Everything ok?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 pm 

So, can we get a firm release date?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 pm 

Last I heard from Tony they were working on the manual and a bit of final Beta testing and tweaks. I don't have a date either but I bet it is very soon now, just in time for a thanks giving gift you yourself! :D

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:42 am 

In a previous post I asked what my gain would be, using M2. Having read all the questions & answers concerning M2, I still don't have a clue. Searching for answers on the web did not give an answer either.

Right now NASlite is streaming music to two computers, one hardwired to the router, one through the 54Mb WiFi. The third computer is being treated for fatigue, otherwise that one was also playing content without effort.

So, my humble question is, would someone be able & willing to explain in plain words what a DAAP or, in my case probably a UpNp server would add to my listening experience? I am using MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/) on each computer; the library is on my NASLite server.

Thanks,
Pieter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:01 am 

I think that the main benefit is for users who want to stream to devices other than PC's, such as PS3, XBOX 360, etc.

Streaming content to the kids console would be pretty neat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am 

Like Nick said, it doesn't sound like there is any need in your case.

To put it in plain English, there is no performance increase to be had by running 2 more export daemons on your NAS server. It is simply to allow crippled, proprietary hardware (Xbox, PS3, AppleTV, etc.) to see your content on your network when it otherwise might not or would not be able to.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 am 

Yes, I need it for Itunes and Apple tv. Thanks for the update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next