NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 am 

I have just set up a Sheevaplug as a Squeezeplug by following the instructions on the Slimdevice Wiki

I've mapped /music on the squeezeplug to my Music folder on my NanoNAS and can see it OK, but I don't seem to have the relevant permissions to make things work.

Two things happen:

-if I attempt to edit a file via webmin I get error pop-ups like:
"Failed to open /music/Ambient Moods/Ambient Moods/Folder.jpg : Permission denied"

- if I scan the database with Squeezebox server I get no music added and error messages in the logs like:

Code:
[11-05-03 02:28:32.3638] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /music/Zero 7/When It Falls/11_Morning Song.mp3 for reading: Permission denied
[11-05-03 02:28:32.3664] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (655) ERROR SCANNING file:///music/Zero%207/When%20It%20Falls/11_Morning%20Song.mp3: Unable to read tags from file

If I map a Vista shared drive to the Plug I can see and edit the files within no problem.

I should point out that whilst I tinker, I'm a big newbie when it comes to all of this and I can't work out whether the fault is with the Squeezeplug, or the NanoNas.

I can see the NanoNAS quite happily from two Vista machines and an XP Laptop, so I'm guessing it's something I've not set correctly on the Plug; any light you could shed on this would be great.

Do I need to do something specific to make the Plug access the NanoNAS?

Thanks,
-Raymonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 am 

Hi

Just a thought. Did you check upper case / lower case in the directory structures. ONE letter change and you may be in trouble. music is not = to Music

RR

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

Just checked and it looks like cases match where necessary. I'm guessing if they didn't match I wouldn't be able to mount or see the directory at all.

From doing a bit of googling I understand the NanoNAS forces all connections to be as NAS-User with group as NAS-User - or at least that's who the user/group is set to on the http readable output from the NAS.

I'm guessing (again from doing a bit of poking around Linux forums) that I'm mounting the drive to the squeezeplug and getting some kind of permissions clash with what the squeezeplug thinks I can do, and what the NAS thinks I can do.

It may be something to do with my smb.conf on the squeezeplug and my fstab entry that mounts the directory.

Sadly my Linux knowledge is tiny.

I'm tried using variations of the following in fstab:

Code:
//192.168.2.3/Disk-0/Test  /music  smbfs  username=admin,password=nas,uid=98,gid=98,fmask=0777  0  0
//192.168.2.3/Disk-0/Test  /music cifs noperm,umask=0777,fmask=0777 0 0

And whilst they all seem to mount Disk-0/Test (on the NAS) to /music (on the squeezeplug) and allow me to see the contents, running ls -l on /music and subdirectories show the owner/group as root.

I am really confused, especially as I have only the faintest grasp of permissions having never really had to deal with them in this way before.

Is there any more information I can provide to help resolve this?

Thanks!
Raymonkey