NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No access to server
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:48 pm 

The server has been in use for approx 12months with no problems, however since relocating offices i now cannot access the server by any means, the network card has no flashing lights but the server boots up fine and gives the correct 3 beep sequence.

As we are having a brand new server installed in our office is it possible to just pull the hard drive, install it in a external drive housing and then just transfer it via USb onto the new server?

If not what options do i have? (sorry for the questions but this is all new to me!)

Thanks

Post subject: Re: No access to server
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:36 pm 

your files will certainly be there - will the new server be running naslite - if so just add the drive and mount it and all should be well

if not then it will [i think] depend what OS the server is running - the format of the old drive is compatable with linux - so you need that to see the files - if its running windows then there are addons to read linux drives

whichever - you should be able to connect via usb and transfer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:48 pm 

Your issue is with your network it's self. NL is likely functioning properly.

You need to make sure that the network cable you are using to connect to the switch is working.

That the port on the switch is working.

That the IP address is in the range of the clients on the network.

That the workgroup matches.

You provide little info on your setup so it's hard to help in any more detail that the above.

If a new server is being installed in the office then you may be better off to have the IT company do a quick check of the settings and get NL visible from the network for you.

If you want to slave the drive in another machine it must be able to read EXT2, EXT3 if you have a journal applied, file system. As Tony pointed out, there are plug ins for reading EXT FS's in MS Windows. This is assuming that the new server will be running M$ server.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Your issue is with your network it's self. NL is likely functioning properly.

You need to make sure that the network cable you are using to connect to the switch is working. Check

That the port on the switch is working. Check

That the IP address is in the range of the clients on the network. Check

That the workgroup matches.Check

You provide little info on your setup so it's hard to help in any more detail that the above.

If a new server is being installed in the office then you may be better off to have the IT company do a quick check of the settings and get NL visible from the network for you.

If you want to slave the drive in another machine it must be able to read EXT2, EXT3 if you have a journal applied, file system. As Tony pointed out, there are plug ins for reading EXT FS's in MS Windows. This is assuming that the new server will be running M$ server.

Mike

My IT guy is around tommorow so will quiz him about it, but im still thinking network card failure as there are no lights flashing on the card during boot up or when the server is running!

Thanks for the tips tho! :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:17 am 

bigash wrote:
My IT guy is around tommorow so will quiz him about it, but im still thinking network card failure as there are no lights flashing on the card during boot up or when the server is running!
Thanks for the tips tho! :P

I don't know what type of motherboard you have in the server, but two other things you could check. 1] Reset BIOS to factory default, or at least take a look at it to see if the onboard NIC is still enabled; 2] get an additional NIC installed in one of the expansion slots. You may have to change the NL configuration to use [FIRST] or [LAST] NIC found.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 am 

Nevermind, i threw the drive into an external drive holder and simply transfered all the files across onto another spare drive ready to be put straight onto the new server, used Diskinternals Linux reader 1.1, a freeware programme from these guys-
http://www.diskinternals.com/download.shtml

Worked like a charm!! 8)

Dunno what was up with the old server but the network card game back to life, although i still coulndt access it from any othe rmachine either HTTP or telnet, couldnt even ping it!
When i accessed it directly it would boot up but was telling me my unlock code had failed.

Then i couldnt get past the login screen as it was telling me my user login and password were incorrect!? (as i wrote these down on install i no for a fact they are right!!)

Oh well, it did its job for 12months, i cant complain :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:19 pm 

Glad you got your data off of the drive but I for one am still interested in the cause of the failure. Did the card go bad? Likely since the thing still boots but the key is invalid.

If it's not to big a problem could you have a go at it and throw in a new NIC and see?

Thanks,

Mike