NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 am 

This has to be a stupid noob thing I realise, but I do need some help to point me in the right direction please. :oops:
The full doings are below - but briefly I can't see or map to Drives on my NanoNAS box from a Windows PC.

I've setup my server box and put three hard drives in it, I've bought the software, loaded and registered it, put in the unlock code and changed the defaults. I've let NanoNAS format and export the hard drive volumes, they are set to Read/Write properly - and before I unplugged the extra monitor and keyboard I could log onto the Admin account correctly.

From any Windows PC on my network I can ping the box using it's IP address, I can use telnet and http to view the server which seems to be running correctly. But, I can't see the hard drives from Windows XP or Vista.

I've tried mapping a network drive - in my case as a shared G: Drive - can't be found, any of them. Also I've tried drilling into the Network Neighbourhood tree where I can see the workgroup I've created and the other Windows PCs, but I can't get any further, and I certainly can't save any files to the hard drives in my NanoNAS box.

Help! Any suggestions on what I've missed will be great - thanks people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 am 

Is the workgroup the same between the PCs and the server?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:44 am 

Pretty sure it is common for all - but I'll check tonight as I'm not at home right now. Thanks for that - good point to check :!:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:35 pm 

My advice is first that you turn off all the machines on your network. Now boot the NL box and then the others.

You can also try using the direct address to your drives in the mapping, IE: //nanonas-smb/disk-1 (not sure about the actual address for yours, check it before you try) to a drive letter.

Mike