NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup Floppy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm 

I'm trying to make a backup of my NanoNAS floppy, including configuration, in case it somehow gets corrupted. I don't want to have to re-enter all the license and configuration options to get up and running.

I've made a clean NanoNAS floppy on a secondary PC, then try to insert it into my already-running NanoNAS PC and use the "Save Configuration" option, but NanoNAS gives an error that the configuration file already exists.

What do I need to do to make a backup diskette?

Post subject: Re: Backup Floppy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Boot the configured floppy, enter the admin interface, replace the floppy with the newly created floppy then save the config.

Post subject: Re: Backup Floppy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 pm 

I'm not sure what was causing the "configuration exists" error -- perhaps it was due to attempting to write configuration through a telnet connection, or something else. I usually run the system headless.

In any case, I completely shut down the server, created several new NanoNAS diskettes (for backup/emergency use), booted with one of the brand new NanoNAS diskettes, re-entered all the license information with a local keyboard, and was able to save configuration to the other diskettes using the local interface. So I guess the particular issue is closed. However, it would be nice to know why the "configuration exists" message was occuring. (Is it an "error," or something else? When I successfully saved, I only got a "DONE" message.)

In future versions, it would be nice if there was an option to input license and unlock codes during the initial floppy configuration, or at least allow both license and unlock codes to be entered from NanoNAS without a reboot.