NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 pm 

Thanks a ton, I'll give that a shot!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 pm 

Hmm... the workgroup WAS set to CF...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 pm 

I get this same error message occasionally. It is annoying. I find that I can usually (though not always) delete the file through a DOS console, even when other applications complain. I also find that if I re-attempt to delete a file that failed to delete several hours later, I am able to delete the file -- as if some locking mechanism or journaling process has finally released it.

I upgraded to NanoNAS from the floppy Naslite, and never encountered this error with the earlier version. I have enabled journaling on NanoNAS. Perhaps this is the issue? It would be nice to know why it occurs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 am 

Anyone else have any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 am 

I've never seen that before. What sp is your xp? I have to try that myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 am 

What service pack? Both versions of Windows are completely up to date with all patches.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:14 pm 

Anyone have any ideas? It's becoming almost unusable at this point... I can't delete anything without getting this error.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't run into the problem you are describing so over the next few days I'll try and replicate it. I'll use XP with SP3 as the client and see how it fairs...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:23 pm 

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the help! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 am 

Any luck?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

I got a chance to check NanoNAS-SMB with XP-SP3 and I can confirm the problem. The problem appears to be specific to Windows Explorer and is intermittent - does not happen all the time. Also appears to happen with certain file types only. Deleting executables did not cause an error. In all other cases I was able to delete all files on the second or third try and did not have to resort to the command prompt.

This warrants a closer look. I'll do that time permitting in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:34 am 

You can set the attributes of the files you have problems with. Select the files, right click and then pick properties where you can check off read only and all that stuff. Then you should be able to delete. I still can't get mine to crap out. I tried with updated xp but the files come off like they are supposed to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 am 

Tony wrote:
Also appears to happen with certain file types only. Deleting executables did not cause an error. In all other cases I was able to delete all files on the second or third try and did not have to resort to the command prompt.

For me... it's close to all of the files give me this problem... most of what I store is pictures and psd's (I design a magazine). The sole purpose of this NAS box is to store images and psd's... so it's become pretty much useless to me because of this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 am 

dimension wrote:
You can set the attributes of the files you have problems with. Select the files, right click and then pick properties where you can check off read only and all that stuff. Then you should be able to delete. I still can't get mine to crap out. I tried with updated xp but the files come off like they are supposed to.

Tried that alreaady, doesn't help... thought for sure that would work too...

Thanks everyone for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:38 pm 

Why don't you upgrade to naslite2? It works much better and has lots more capability. You can even use the drives form your nanonas as is. I'd guess with the likes of vista and win7 nanonas will keep coming short. But then, what can you expect from a floppy :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next