NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 am 

I finally setup my first NanoNAS box today. I'm very impressed with it - so simple!

I don't see any gigabit ethernet cards listed in the hardware reference guide and see no mention of gigabit cards in the forum posts. Just for laughs, I tried an RT-8169 type card but no-go.

Is gigabit ethernet not supported in NanoNAS?

Thanks for any information.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:50 pm 

Never mind. Just found my answer in the product comparison chart.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 pm 

Yeah, I found the same thing AFTER I had already paid. Not too happy. I ended up paying another $10 to download the ISO of the free version so I could use my GIG-E card. Seems counterintuitive for Nanonas to be billed as an upgrade and it is less functional.

Last edited by lingenfr on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:17 pm 

lingenfr wrote:
Seems rather asinine for Nanonas to be billed as an upgrade and it is less functional.
Less functional?

Dude, Nanonas uses native ide drivers with dma support so it can peek 100t. You can run more than 4 drives in a nanonas server. It lets you feed files to all the fruits on the network with afp. It uses a new kernel with better hardware support. And it makes pretty status pictures for you to look at. The old floppies didn't do any of that. I'd consider those improvements so it seems to me you must be mistaken. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm 

Naslite-SMBG supports gigabit (free) Nanonas ($9.95) doesn't support gigabit = less functional. What don't you get about that? So actually, it supports less hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:30 pm 

I didn't see nanonas-smbg anywhere. Just smb and afp, so what's your issue. It was your asinine comment that got me going dude, so I'll drop it now. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm 

lingenfr wrote:
Naslite-SMBG supports gigabit (free) Nanonas ($9.95) doesn't support gigabit = less functional. What don't you get about that? So actually, it supports less hardware.

Obviously you are new to the product and failed to reference this http://www.serverelements.com/naslite-comparison.php before buying. Tony and Ralph are both pretty good about helping customers out in these kinds of cases, as long as you are not an a$$hole about things and simply ask. Why not give it a try?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
lingenfr wrote:

Obviously you are new to the product and failed to reference this http://www.serverelements.com/naslite-comparison.php before buying. Tony and Ralph are both pretty good about helping customers out in these kinds of cases, as long as you are not an a$$hole about things and simply ask. Why not give it a try?

Mike

As I acknowledged in my initial post, "I" failed to review the product comparison chart before purchasing. At this point in my efforts, it is not clear that Naslite-SMBG is going to meet my needs either, so I am continuing to see if any of these products will work for me. When I know, I will contact Tony and Ralph to see if I can apply the $9.95 from my Nanonas purchase to something else (or not).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:48 pm 

lingenfr wrote:
mikeiver1 wrote:
lingenfr wrote:

Mike

As I acknowledged in my initial post, "I" failed to review the product comparison chart before purchasing. At this point in my efforts, it is not clear that Naslite-SMBG is going to meet my needs either, so I am continuing to see if any of these products will work for me. When I know, I will contact Tony and Ralph to see if I can apply the $9.95 from my Nanonas purchase to something else (or not).

I didn't notice in your initial post where you acknowledged not checking the product comparison charts, sorry.

You really might just consider ponying up for the full blown version of NASLite 2.10 or M2, they have so much more to offer and in the next release they are supposed to have a 2.6.xx based kernel. Should be a boost in performance and supported hardware.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm 

I have to say that I am a bit afraid that I will keep finding 'gotchas' like the problem with the outdated smb version in naslite. I can't map a folder from linux using current smbfs/cifs. So, I expect I will either find something out of what I have already paid for that meets my needs or just build a samba server and be done with it. It is not that hard and I really just wanted the joy of using an old box that I was about to toss. I have no problem supporting folks who give back, but at $20 down and still not able to do what I set out to do (a flac/mp3/avi share) I am about ready to move on. Not criticizing these folks a bit, just a little disappointed. I am going to check out NFSG before I give up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:31 pm 

I have not had any of the problems you seem to have in the past and I have hit my NAS from just about every type of machine and OS one could expect to encounter in the last 15 years.from DOS 5.0 up to Windows7 Beta, Solaris in various iterations, Mac OS 8 and up on occasion, and Linux in more flavors than I can or care to recall. Mac being the only one to give me fits but Apple sucks anyway. Processors I have run accessed it from include 8088 up to Core2 Duo and Opterons, Sparc1 through Ultra Sparc, Power PC, and G4. The one thing consistent is that the SMB share works and if not I use NFS.

The SMB share seems to just work and work. If you are simply looking for a reason to compile and build your own SMB server you seem to have it. I would just keep in mind that the primary goal of NASLite is not cutting edge hardware and software support but stable, reliable and fast file service. A change to the latest, greatest SMB daemon may be fought with issues and problems non of us users are willing to deal with.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm 

It is a documented issue that NASLite is only compatible with previous versions of Samba/smbfs. I did not run here and whine, I spent hours googling and trying different things. If you think you can help, please take a look at my thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2806

If you search on the error I listed you will see a lot of references to naslite. You seem to be wanting to discount anything other than complete satisfaction, so yeah, I'm thrilled, thanks for your help. Let's please let this thread die as it is not helping anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:53 pm 

Nanonas and the other naslite floppies use an older version of samba. 2.0 i think it is because apparently nothing later fits on the floppy. If you ensist on staying with the floppy then that's what you'll have to deal with. The full product is much more capable. Dont know what else to tell you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:01 pm 

I don't 'insist' on staying with the floppy. I built the machine without a CD because 1) I didn't think I would need one and 2) didn't need to draw the power and 3) one less thing to fail. I understand the why on the outdated version of samba. However, I don't see anywhere in the other product feature listings that the newer products have the newer version. The only windows user is at college, so I may try the nfsg version. If I could pay another few bucks and get a current version of samba, gig-e support and not have to remap my existing naslite drives, I would go for it. If the gentlemen would let me trade in my unused nanonas, so much the better. Again, folks seems to be posting in an effort to point out my ignorance or suspect my motives. That definitely is not helping me or anyone else. Let's summarize this thread to say:

If you require support for a gigabit ethernet nic, make sure your review the product comparison chart prior to making your purchase.

I am unsubscribing from this thread. If you would like to assist, please post in my other thread.