NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:10 pm 

I just upgraded from NASLite to NanoNAS and I'm really impressed. The web interface looks great and I'm thrilled to have journaling now and control over what services are active. Well worth the upgrade for anyone still on the floppy version of NASLite.

I had a couple of minor issues during setup that I wanted to pass along, either as tips for anyone else experiencing them, or input for any planned updates. For reference, the PC I'm using for the NAS is a 486 clunker that won't boot from anything other than floppy or hard drive (without using a boot floppy with something like GRUB). Client PCs are newer systems.

• After burning the downloaded ISO to a CD-R and booting up from the CD to create the NanoNAS floppy on a client PC, the startup process reported "[FAIL]" before it got to the menu because it couldn't "mount as read-only." The error was unexpected and a little puzzling since the image wasn't burned to a CD-RW, and I expected the system to treat the optical drive as "read-only" by default. I swapped the CD from the DVD-RW drive to the DVD-R drive (the PC has both) and it worked fine.

• After creating the NanoNAS floppy, the NAS PC failed partway through startup because it couldn't "detect a configuration device (Unavailable)", which was really puzzling since I assumed the floppy drive was the configuration device, and it had to be detecting it since it was booting from it. Digging into the BIOS after a while revealed that the floppy type had been set in BIOS incorrectly as a 1.2M 5.25" drive instead of 1.4M 3.25" drive -- likely due to some CMOS reset from a power glitch, since I hadn't changed it myself. Once the floppy type was set correctly, everything started up fine.

In both cases, the solutions were simple, though the causes weren't immediately obvious.