NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:00 am 

Hi.
NanoNAS looks like a very good idea - I am about to buy it to try it out.

Couple of things though:

1) Can you backup the finished floppy after the registration/license process, so that if the working floppy becomes damaged, you can use another copy made earlier - this would save on downtime, if the working floppy failed for some reason. Is there a FDD imaging program perhaps, which would allow for the working floppy to be saved to an image file, which I could use to restore the server quickly if the working floppy ever died?

2) Can you partition drives for use with NanoNAS? I have read the manual for NanoNAS, and it does not look like you can, but it is not really suitable to have all 500GB of a drive, as one share. In my current server, I use XP Pro(not that I like it), and you can partition the drive into logical volumes, and then share those volumes as network drives(for ease of media sorting), so can I do something like that with NanoNAS, and if not, what about one of the other NASlite options instead?

3) Once NanoNAS is setup and running, exactly how are the files made available to a Windoze network? I need to be able to setup any file server such that I can map the shares as network drives, otherwise my mediaplayer will not be able to access the files. So essentially, I need to be able to share(for example) folder "MP3" via NanoNAS, then be able to map "MP3" on NanoNAS server, to a drive letter under Windows, so that the mediaplayer application can access the files. THIS IS VITAL, as the mediaplayer application WILL NOT talk to shared folders under Windows Network - the shares MUST be mapped as network drives or the mediaplayer application simply does not see them...

Thanks for any replies.
:)

G.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:48 am 

Hi Graeme,

You just the the floppy builder to create say two floppies, setup the first one to suit you Save config then remove while the server is on and replace with the second and save config. you now have two exact copies. The program to make the floppies is a ISO that you boot and create there.

You can't partiton drives in naslite your 500G hd will show up as Disk-0. all Naslite versions are the same.

Regarding access to the shares, you can browse your network via my network places and your server will be sitting there. you can map to the shares so each one will be a drive letter in Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:47 am 

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

So, are you saying, that a 500GB drive(say Disk-0), will show up as "Drive-0" in Windows?

Can I map FOLDERS UNDER THE DISK as network drives in their own right?

EXAMPLE:
Lets say we have DISK-0 with three FOLDERS in it, named DIVX, MPG and MP3.

Can I map three different network-drive letters, to the three different NanoNAS folders under DISK-0 - A network drive called DIVX(under DISK-0 on the NanoNAS server), a network drive called MPG(under DISK-0 on the NanoNAS server), and a network drive called MP3(under DISK-0 on the NanoNAS server).

That would allow me to still do what I want...
As I say - the critical thing is that WINDOWS sees "Folders" shared via NanoNAS as network drives, or my plan WON'T WORK.
8)

G.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:08 am 

Hi Graeme,

yep the 500gb hard disk will show in windows network as Disk-0 if you have another hard drive it will be Disk-1 etc.
you are free to create folders in the Disk-0 then you can map to each folder with its own drive letter.

you will get the desired results.

have fun

Eden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:56 am 

Excellent - thanks very much for your time.