NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to NanoNAS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Not forgetting the original intent of this project, Tony and I have finally given a long over due facelift to the original NASLite v1.x floppy which will be rebranded NanoNAS v2.0.

For the estimated 15 thousand plus people currently using the original floppy, this will be a welcomed update. NanoNAS gains the increased IO performance of NASLite-2, as well as the basic core and interface.

NanoNAS will only be available in versions for SMB and AFP for Windows and Macintosh networking, price and released date are still pending. More information will be made available at release.

Attachment:
File comment: nanonas1
nanonas1.jpg
nanonas1.jpg [ 36.16 KiB | Viewed 47403 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: nanonas2
nanonas2.jpg
nanonas2.jpg [ 139.65 KiB | Viewed 47406 times ]

Post subject: Re: Welcome to NanoNAS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

People have been emailing us asking why another floppy version and what will be different about NanoNAS compared to the original NASLite floppies. There is a host of reasons why we feel it is necessary to release such a product, so I thought it appropriate to take the time and explain.

Server Elements prides itself in its ability to produce products that are extremely compact, optimized in both speed and performance as well as operational stability. NASLite-2 is a perfect testament of that with an impeccable track record and a stronger than expected user following. In contrast, the most popular floppy disk version, NASLite-SMB is slow due to it's lack of IDE DMA support. As a side note, I'd say the number of people using floppy-based versions of NASLite is probably approaching one hundred thousand with over fifteen thousand FDU sales we can verify.

Anyway, NanoNAS will correct the poor performance characteristics of NASLite-SMB while improving functionality to once again raise the bar. NanoNAS will be made available in 2 versions, SMB and AFP and will support all Mbit and IDE interfaces supported by NASLite-2. As you can see above, the status reporting will be on par with that found on NASLite-2 as will be the admin capabilities.

NanoNAS will run in a mere 4MB of RAM-Disk and will be able to operate on machines as low as 32MB of RAM. In our tests we have been able to boot and run on 16M of RAM but that severely limits filesystem maintenance capacity. NanoNAS will also be able to use add-on IDE controllers, so the 4-disk limit of the original floppy versions is now gone.

So, if you are using NASLite-SMB to host your files, then NanoNAS is a direct replacement that will drastically improve your NAS in both speed and capability. Further, if you are using NASLite-SMB with your MACs, then NanoNAS-AFP will provide a great improvement. That and ext3 support should make it a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:07 am 

Tony wrote:
Further, if you are using NASLite-SMB with your MACs, then NanoNAS-AFP will provide a great improvement. That and ext3 support should make it a no-brainer.

You do know that MAC refers to a hardware address and not a computer system right? I've noticed you using MAC and MACs when talking about a Macintosh computer in various posts here. Not trying to be a d*ck, but for newbies to networking they might get confused.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:42 pm 

kbills wrote:
Tony wrote:
Further, if you are using NASLite-SMB with your MACs, then NanoNAS-AFP will provide a great improvement. That and ext3 support should make it a no-brainer.

You do know that MAC refers to a hardware address and not a computer system right? I've noticed you using MAC and MACs when talking about a Macintosh computer in various posts here. Not trying to be a d*ck, but for newbies to networking they might get confused.

You do know that 99.9999 newbies to networking have no idea what a MAC address is and that in the context that "MACs" is being used that they are smart enough to know that Tony means Macintosh computer system?

You do know also that the "Newbies" here are a bit smarter than average? Though NL, NASLite for you dumb "Newbies", is fairly simple to install and implement it still requires a certain level of basic networking skills and understanding. It could be put forth that these are "advanced newbies" and as such be given the benefit of a doubt about their common sense and ability to reason rationally.

As can be seen from the number of posts I have put up I have been here for a very long time. Not once can I recall "MAC" address ever being mentioned let alone confused with the abbreviated name of Macintosh. Note the context of "MACs" use here and the fact that it is used with the word "Address" directly following. Also note newbies and understand that I am using it in a context other than the abbreviation for "Macintosh", The trade marked name used by Apple Computer Inc for one of their computer lines. Also not to be confused with the the Macintosh variety of apple and instead refer to "Media Access Control". I will stay away from the word "Apple" here for the sake of our sanity. Goto the following link if you would like to be "in the know" like our helpful friend here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

My guess is that every one that reads your post is going to have the same reaction I did.
Why is he wasting my time with diatribe like this?

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Let's not forget about SMB, which is mistaken for small and medium-size business. :roll:

Seriously, lets take a look at what Tony said ;

Quote:
Further, if you are using NASLite-SMB with your MACs, then NanoNAS-AFP will provide a great improvement.

It what context is the statement above referring to a mac address of a nic card?

Should I have even said nic? What if NickC thinks I'm talking about him and one of his cards :)

And is AFP referring to "Association for Financial Professionals"?

I think the above outlines the silliness of this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:43 am 

SMB is obviously Super Mario Bros! I didn't even know NASLite could emulate a Nintendo!!!! Weeee! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 pm 

Quote:
I didn't even know NASLite could emulate a Nintendo!!!! Weeee!

A Nintendo Wii.... No way....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:58 pm 

Any hints on the timeframe for NanoNAS introduction?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Very soon i hope. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Unless something unexpected comes up, we are hoping to release NanoNAS within a week from today. The distribution will be made available as a single CD-ROM ISO that will boot a Floppy Disk Utility designed to create the 1.72M NanoNAS bootable floppy disks.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:41 am 

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

Currently, I am using NASLite and recently got a MACbook. I have been unable to access my NASLite server with the MAC. The Windows computers access it without difficulty.

1. Will NanoNAS allow both Windows and MAC computers to access the server? If so, which version should I get - SMB or AFB? BTW, what do those stand for?

2. Will I loose any data in upgrading my existing NASLite server to NanoNAS? What's the process to upgrade?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:46 pm 

Nanonas comes in 2 flavors on the same distro, but you can run only one at a time. You'll be better off with Naslite 2 for sharing between windows and mac. And your data will be safe so no worries there.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:26 pm 

I noticed in the hardware reference guide that the Promise ATA controllers are listed...mine is the Ultra133 TX2 PDC20269. This is not listed. All others seem to be. Will it work? Any reason for leaving it off?

thanks