NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NanoNas
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 am 

I was already using the old naslite software, i like the NanoNas environment.

But i was only surprised that telnet was still there. Pls can you enable ssh in this environment.

Post subject: Re: NanoNas
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:42 am 
Site Admin

The remaining room on the floppy disks is approximately 20K and 24K respectively for the SMB and AFS versions. It is simply not possible to include SSH while keeping NanoNAS on floppy disk.

Just out of curiosity, within the context of NanoNAS, what need would there be for encrypted console access via SSH compared to the currently used TELNET?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 pm 

i can't believe I'm asking for a feature in NanoNAS when NS needs to get to v3.... but a NanoNAS SMB SCSI would be really great. There's a bunch of old poweredges, proliants that are a pain to boot from CD (sometimes SCSI CD) ... USB booting is a real pain with the kicker and an add-on usb card (it took me 3 different cards before it worked once)...

I think a floppy with megaraid would handle most of the old dells out there....

charge $20 for this one.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:06 am 
Site Admin

NASLite-2 HDD should do fine on those machines? You can install the OS on another machine and then move the drive into the final destination. You can also use an IDE CD-ROM drive temporarily for installation.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm 

Tony wrote:
NASLite-2 HDD should do fine on those machines? You can install the OS on another machine and then move the drive into the final destination. You can also use an IDE CD-ROM drive temporarily for installation.

Many old Poweredges are scsi only, and use a SCA backplane, so the avg dude cannot easily do any of the above. plus you'd have to dedicate a whole scsi drive for NL, and you'd really want it as a member of the RAID.

there are bunches running NT4, and I was faced with the prospect of reinstalling NT4 from scratch which would have been possible, but for just a file server with no real security, was overkill and used a significant portion of the drive... and many other reasons ... NL was perfect... but it ended up being a pain in the rear.

So I don't know why you're gung-ho for the hobbyist with Nano, but not small businesses that have plenty of old servers that could instantly be put to use instead of the pasture...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:06 pm 

avldwx wrote:
Tony wrote:

Many old Poweredges are scsi only, and use a SCA backplane, so the avg dude cannot easily do any of the above. plus you'd have to dedicate a whole scsi drive for NL, and you'd really want it as a member of the RAID.

there are bunches running NT4, and I was faced with the prospect of reinstalling NT4 from scratch which would have been possible, but for just a file server with no real security, was overkill and used a significant portion of the drive... and many other reasons ... NL was perfect... but it ended up being a pain in the rear.

So I don't know why you're gung-ho for the hobbyist with Nano, but not small businesses that have plenty of old servers that could instantly be put to use instead of the pasture...

You don't have to dedicate the whole drive to NL, it just grabs 8MB and leaves the rest of the partition to you for use. The rest of the drive can be used as part of the array with no hit to performance.

You can boot off of a CDROM and use that to build the NN on the system. An alternate is to use a USB Floppy for the boot, works just fine.

As far as the SCA backplane, they are transparent to both the SCSI controller and the drives, exception being those backplanes that monitor health of the bus.

Why don't you just go with NL2.0x and be done, it is much better suited to your needs than NN is.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:51 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
You don't have to dedicate the whole drive to NL, it just grabs 8MB and leaves the rest of the partition to you for use. The rest of the drive can be used as part of the array with no hit to performance.

You can boot off of a CDROM and use that to build the NN on the system. An alternate is to use a USB Floppy for the boot, works just fine.

As far as the SCA backplane, they are transparent to both the SCSI controller and the drives, exception being those backplanes that monitor health of the bus.

Why don't you just go with NL2.0x and be done, it is much better suited to your needs than NN is.

Mike

Mike, thanks for barely reading the prior posts.. nice kneejerk fanboy post BTW :lol:
jeez, it took me 4 kicker floppys, and 3 diff USB cards to get NL2USB booting. If I scrounged around and got a replacement SCSI CDROM, then yes NL2HDD or NL2CD would have worked... but I couldn't build a NL2HDD in another system without using a complete drive.

So, no sympathy here anyone? I was thinking a NanoSCSI would be pretty easy (just compile without IDE and with Megaraid, if it doesn't fit on the floppy then forget it) and have a decent base of buyers... but if everyone should just use NL2... then what's the point of NN ?

Well, I'm sure Ralph and Tony aren't interested in making boutique NN floppies for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that posts here (unless they charged more $). I just thought that experience would give them something to think about.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:59 pm 

Oh, I did in fact read all the posts. I have been using SCSI since it was a 5MB/sec interface on everything from old Sun 68020 boxes and Pro Audio Spectrum cards to modern hardware RAID 320MB/sec cards. Throw in FC-AL (Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop), a SCSI over serial variant, and I would say that I have a bit of SCSI hardware and experience with it.

I have my NL2.00USB booting from a CDROM since the machine would not boot USB, even with kicker disks. I also didn't want to deal with floppies since they are less than reliable and the CDROM version wants to write to a floppy. As a result I bought the USB version and rolled my own bootable CDROM from that.

Dells are a bit of a pain but I think you make it more than it is. You should be able to find the work arounds to get the box/s to boot. I have a simple device that has an SCA80 connector on one side and a 68 pin HD connector, Molex power, and jumpers so I can setup a SCA interface drive from an external connector on a SCSI card. You can pick them up cheap, in fact SCSI hardware is dirt cheap now. My advice is that you get your self an older Plextor SCSI drive for booting.

There's your "nice kneejerk fanboy post BTW" reaction.

Should you wish help then by all means ask and I and others will be more than happy to help. If on the other hand you want to get all butt hurt and start off each post with a snivel then I will be more than happy to put you on ignore.

Mike