NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:42 pm 

I have had trouble seeing all of my shares while my NasLite-SMBG server is connected. WindowsXP systems are able to browse the shares list but none of my Linux installations are able to.

If I disconnect the NASLite system the Linux boxes return to normal samba browsing. Anyone have similar experiences or insight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Samba will always win an election process and become a mater browser over win32 (except domain controllers), so in order to prevent NASLite from becoming master browser in the network, you'll have to set your linux box to do that instead. That can be done by modifying the smbd.conf file, in perticular the "local master" and "os level" directives. Take a look at http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html for details.

The above should work provided your network is configured as a workgroul and everything is properly set.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:47 pm 

Is there a way to change the default behavior of NASLite? I have several systems running Linux (including some with multiple distributions) so it would be counter-productive to modify each of these configurations to accomodate on wayward client. I have systems successfully browsing the shares with Windows98, WindowsXP, Mac OS, Windows Mobile, Xandros, Ubuntu, Slax and Linspire; all without any advanced configuration. It seems the problems are NASLite-specific, so I think the remedy should be addressed at that end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:38 am 

I also am having a problem with NASLite becoming the Master Browser. It is stopping the PCs accessing the network via VPN from browsing the network.
I don't have a DC.
Can I stop the NASLite from becoming the master browser?
Thx