NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:14 pm 

I have a firewall setup (IPCOP) and NASLite running on the green interface. I can access it fine if I'm on the green interface but when I'm on the Blue Interface with ALL PORTS open (or even just port 80)(Using IPCOP PIN HOLES) I can't access it (Even if I VPN into it from the BLUE). I can access other things this way fine (Printers). The only thing I can think of is that the firewall can not forward ICMP packets. Does NASLite need these to be seen?

Ant body else useing IPCOP with NASLite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:20 pm 

NASLite will only work on computers on the same network. If your blue side of the firewall is on a different network than the green side then you won't be able to access the NASLite machine.

This is by design.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 pm 

Hmmm not sure if I buy that. The green network with the NASLite is 192.168.1.x and the blue, which I'm trying to come through is 192.168.2.x. Now I'm opening ports though the "DMZ" to get to the green which the router should forward to the new network. I can also set the subnet mask of the NASLite to 255.255.0.0 which should read both networks. ALSO I can VPN into the green which should give me free reighn, I'm still getting nothing. I can set up other apliances this way with no problem. Why is NASLite not showing itself. Is anyone else using IPCOP with NASLite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:30 pm 

Quote:
The green network with the NASLite is 192.168.1.x and the blue, which I'm trying to come through is 192.168.2.x

Right, so you have 2 networks.

Quote:
the router should forward to the new network

If you're going thru a router you definately have 2 networks.

Quote:
I can also set the subnet mask of the NASLite to 255.255.0.0 which should read both networks.

Except NASLite knows you're trying to cheat. :wink: When it gets a packet from your blue network it sees a network address of 192.168.2.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. When it tries to reply to that address the netmask tells the NASLite box the destination PC is on a different network and NASLite doesn't know how to get there.

What you need is a default gateway setting on the NASLite box so it knows to send all packets destined for other networks to the router. Unfortunately this is not provided in version 1.x for security reasons. It is promised in version 2.

Other network appliances will likely have a way to provide a default gateway address (your router), so they work accross networks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:44 pm 

Ok, I buy that. I always wondered NASLite never had a place to enter a gateway. My work around for my servers on the orange is to use a second nic that is connected to the green. This is working fine but it's not my ideal solution. I guess I have to wait for version 2 of NASLite. For the Blue, I might just move one of the AP's to the green for now, and connect through that. I searched the net for other people that might have had this problem but have found none.

Thanks for your quick reply. I can stop tearing out my hair on this one.

Post subject: Switch for now
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:42 am 

Well I'm going over to the Darkside as it has a gateway built in(FreeNas). Seems to work well, but does not seem as easy and idiot proof as NASLite. I am not using the RAID as it seems to have problems. Oh well I hope NASLite V2 comes out soon. I would love to switch back.