NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:05 pm 

Hi again. Still having fun here with NASLite but have a question please.

This morning I used Acronis TrueImage to make an image across the network to a NASLite folder. TrueImage said the operation completed but with errors, indicating that it couldn't open the archive for read a couple of times.

I set TrueImage to verify the archive, but it just failed, saying the archive is corrupted.

I see, in the SMP/CIFS Server Log the following message repeated around 80 times:

Quote:
# [2006/06/24 15:26:26, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(2579)
# reply_write_and_X - large offset (1 << 32) used and we don't support 64 bit offsets.

I googled "we don't support 64 bit offsets" and found a bit of discussion at the SAMBA site, but didn't find a lot so I'm not sure what this means exactly. Frankly, I'm not sure I would know what it meant even if I HAD found a lot.

Does this just mean I can't create images over the network, or that something is wrong somewhere? Have you seen this before?

Does the same situation apply with NASLite+ or the upcoming Version 2? I seem to recall reading here somewhere on the forum that NASLite+ would speed things up considerably in some respects. Would buying NASLite+ now, rather than waiting for version 2, address this issue?

Thanks! Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:01 pm 

Never mind (I think).

I knew there was a 4 gig limit on transfers to NASLite, and that this didn't apply to NASLite+, so part of my question is answered (I think).

I see that TrueImage was breaking the archive into chunks just slightly bigger than 4 gig, so that must be the problem with the 64 bit offsets. I'll set the archive breaks to something smaller than 4 gig and try again.

Regarding the increased speed of NASLite+ over NASLite, I now see that it has something to do with NASLite not doing DMA (direct memory access?) while NASLite+ does do DMA.

I'll probably go ahead and purchase NASLite+ today, with the expectation of great speed increase.

If I screwed up anything above please let me know. Thanks! Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:21 am 

I have no problem saving True Image image files on my NASLite+ box.

Mind you it takes a while, compared to saving to a local disk but my image backups are always done overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Bear in mind, the only reason there is a 4 gig limitation is because we couldn't fit the newer version of Samba on the floppy. The limitation was not done on purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the replies!

I bought NASLite+ yesterday, and I'm happy with it. I have a question, though, but I'll post it over on the NASLite+ forum.

Cool program. Congratulations! Steve