NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wake up video?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:58 am 

Hello. Great app! Congratulations.

I saw a mention of NASLite on the Langa List, checked it out a bit, and here I am. I will purchase one or the other version of +, but I see you're soon to publish a new version, so I'll continue familiarizing myself for the time being.

I'd go for the flash version right now by my confuter won't boot that way. I'd go for the CD version right now but I only have three drive slots (one containing a CD). I see on the forum that you've had some requests for a hard drive boot option so I'm thinking you may have included that in the new version.

Question please:

If I leave NASLite alone for a while, such as while it was checking the hard drive surface during setup, or just leaving it alone for some longish time, the video seems to go to sleep and I cannot do anything locally because I can't see anything on the screen. NASLite is still accessible via telnet and I can get to it with a browser, but I can't seem to wake up local video. Sorry if I missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything about this in the manual or, so far, on the forum.

Is there a key sequence or something that will wake up the video?

Thanks! Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:17 am 

Pressing the Enter key works on mine. If that doesn't work for you it might be a BIOS video setting that is causing problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:29 am 

Thanks for your reply.

Neither of the enter keys work here. I'll check and see if I can find anything in the bios that would account for this.

You prompt me to remember that the box has a video card in it. Maybe if I strip that out and just use motherboard video it will work.

Thanks again. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:58 pm 

its almost certainly a BIOS power saving mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:03 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did find a power saving setting in BIOS, which I disabled. The issue continued, though, so I figure the BIOS setting applies to the unused on-board video.

There is an Nvidia GForce 2 card in the box, but apparently there's no way through the Nvidia software to fiddle with power saving settings. There's one display that shows a checkmark in an option having to do with EnergyStar, but it's greyed out and unresponsive.

Possibly the problem is related to the cheap KVM switch I'm using, which it did not occur to me to mention up front.

I decided to leave the Nvidia card in place and just deal with NASLite via telnet, which works just fine. I'm on the verge of ripping out anything that's not needed for NASLite (NASLite+ real soon I hope, when V2 comes out), but for the moment I'm keeping the machine available to use as a Windows box from time to time. The hard drives are in carriages so that's easy.

Thanks again for the help. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 pm 

That's just what I did with my NAS box and my smoothwall box. Everything is either removed or disabled that isn't used by the app.

Mike