NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:12 pm 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things here, and I'm not familiar at all with bootable Linux images, that sort of thing, and the idea I'm going to advance seems so simple that surely someone has thought of it. But on the weird off-chance that nobody HAS thought of it, here goes.

Seems to me that optional ".config" files or something of that sort, somewhat analogous to .htaccess files in Apache, might be used to control certain parameters of NASLite. For example, a small text file containing something like the following code:

Code:
SMART=OFF
DISKNAME="Mars"

...might tell NASLite to skip the SMART check for the disk (eliminating the three high beeps/three low beeps you get for disks that don't support SMART), and to share the disk as "Mars" instead of "Disk-1." There are doubtless a number of other issues that could be solved this way, allowing problems to be overcome without adding a lot of configuration code and settings to the floppy disk. It would also allow some settings, such as the ones mentioned above, to remain disk-centric, so if another hard disk is substituted no reconfiguration is necessary (unless that disk requires the same attention as its predecessor). IMHO, things like the IP address and name of the server, admin password, etc. are settings that rightfully belong on the floppy, but disk-specific settings belong on the disk itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:12 am 
Site Admin

We have considered config files as a possible option, however it’s virtually impossible to safely implement such configuration in the current floppy disk implementation of NASLite.

It is likely that config files may be appropriate in future products.