NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:58 am 

I'd like to use NASLite but I am not having any luck. I either get an error message "Invalid compressed format (err=1)" or the PC continually reboots before linux completes it's initial part. I have tried downloading the floppy images several times and created new floppies. Any ideas? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:57 am 

A little info on the hardware would help?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:56 am 

I have tried it on 2 different computers, with various combinations of hard drives. Each time one of these 2 things happens as described in my earlier post. I have tried with both SMB and FTP versions of the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

My initial thoughts are that your floppy is improperly created. If you try to write the image on a floppy with incorrect format, the kernel boot loader will load the kernel and fail on decompression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:01 pm 

Sounds about right, try making a bootable CDROM image and booting it from that. You will still have to have the floppy to store the config data though.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:44 pm 

draftsman,

How did you create the floppies? Like Tony mentions, how you do this can cause problems. Did you use Linux and the instructions on the floppy download page? Or are you trying to do this under Windows/DOS?

The other issue you may run into is bad sectors on your floppies, since NASLite uses more of the floppy than normal. Try making several copies using different floppies and see if any of them work.

Also test that your computers can boot from the floppy by using a DOS boot disk and see if it loads ok. That will eliminate your hardware as a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:26 pm 

I used linux to make the floppies. I just tried formatting and writing 3 floppies, with no errors. 2 of them gave the "system halt" error, the other got as far as "RAMDRIVE" and then gave a crc error. Maybe I should just give up and look for something else....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:08 am 

The floppys are ok and work most of the time but they are problematic at the least. I ran from them and had to make a new one a couple of times when I would reboot the box after a hardware change. I finaly took the image and made a bootable CDROM and just used the floppy for the configuration storage. Works like a charm, boots every time. This has worked for both the floppy and USB versions.

This is a great product, trust me I have tried most of them out there. It's fast, stable, simple, and cheap. Work out the bugs, it is worth the effort and we will all help with what we know.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 am 

OK I'll give that a go. But, I don't have a burner on my linux machine, therefore can't use the 1.7mb floppy. Can you create an ISO image file of your bootable CD and email it to me? mail at willises dot net. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:36 am 

I'll see what I can do for you. Have you bought just the floppy version or the full NASLite+?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:07 am 

I haven't bought either; just downloaded the free floppy image file. Can you create a bootable CD image file using the floppy image (I guess you'd need to actually use a floppy disk)? I'd do it but having a burner only on my windoze machine I can't read the floppy.