NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:08 pm 

I'm not sure what you are measuring. It is difficult to believe that Freenas is 15% slower on the 400 while Naslite remains unchanged. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:43 pm 

The Naslite version I have is the SEI-NL2-CDD. Uses a floppy to save settings yes. Like I say I'm new, a week inti it, to this Nas with and old PC setup. I normally use ximeta or ADS nas setups but this is limited to one drive and I'm very interested in this setup you are selling. Speed is fine but reliability is more important if your butt in on the line. Freenas is way to buggy and Naslite just works out of the box. $30 is a drop in the bucket. Even though speeds would increase dramatically I would not use raid unless it was mirroring. I love messing with this stuff so I will keep testing. I have already a couple customers interested in this. Most of my business customers are small 15 or less pc businesses.

Ralph I will give it a go with the benchmark software you suggested just to see. You say the floppy version, which is the fastest Naslite version? I don'yt think either of my boxes will boot to usb. Is the kicker free or is it also a payed for piece of software?

Once again, take my tinkering around with a grain of salt folks and in this mans opinion I would go with proven software, Naslite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 pm 

dimension wrote:
I'm not sure what you are measuring. It is difficult to believe that Freenas is 15% slower on the 400 while Naslite remains unchanged. :?

I was also surprised. I'm just measuring time to run the transfer according to Nortons timeclock. According to freenases graph it was running at about 68kb to 74kb. Fairly constant.

Again and I keep saying it because it is important, I'm only a novice interested in this great pice of software called Naslite. I'm no way BLOCKED_WORD to either freenas or naslite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Kodiak#1 wrote:
I was also surprised. I'm just measuring time to run the transfer according to Nortons timeclock.

This is not a accurate way to compare both products.

Download the Passmark software here and install it on your windows box and post your results.

http://www.passmark.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:35 am 

Ralph your numbers are much higher then mine and I just noticed you are using gigabyte nic's so I will have to go get me some gig nic cards. You was also testing on a high end machine and I'm curious as to the results on a low end machine like the 400mhz I have. This is what your advertising your product for is to use these old pc's laying around for a Nas server correct? I will post my results on each machine again as soon as I can get it done. I'm using passmark 6.0 and mapping the drive on my personal machine then pointing passmark to the mapped drive, being the freenas, naslite server. I had it already just forgot about it. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:06 am 

I’d be curious to see your passmark numbers without gigabit. Just use a crossover between the two machines as you have them now and let it rip. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:50 pm 

I will get at that as soon as I can. Kind of a busy day today. I have ran tests on the 1300 amd through the lan and Naslite came out on top but not by a whole lot. It will be interesting to me with the older machine.

Edit: In fact I will do both with the crossover and through the lan as it would be in a normal business environment. Wonder if hardware will have a difference on Naslite vs Freenas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 am 

Well I had to host the results on my website so I will keep it up for a week and the remove the files. Check it out here. http://www.cecsllc2005.com/NasTest.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:33 am 

Just for grins I will run a test on a ADS NAS box I have and see how it benchmarks. It will have to be hooked to a switch however to d the test. Gota get me some more hard drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:33 am 
Site Admin

Excellent benchmarks there Kodiak :)

As I've said before, NASLite is twice as fast as FreeNAS and in some cases nearly 3x faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:46 am 

Whats that saying? you get what you pay for,

freenas is nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:20 am 

Ralph wrote:
Excellent benchmarks there Kodiak :)

As I've said before, NASLite is twice as fast as FreeNAS and in some cases nearly 3x faster.

Thanks Ralph and it was quite fun doing. I will be adding some benchmarks on when it is connected to the lan. I would believe this will also be critical. I really think you get a lot more then you pay for considering the price of $30. I think the marks do indeed say that the product, unlike most anything out there, does what the programmers say it will do. thumm up. Please, Please get some security features in this and it will sell like hotcakes to my business clients.

I also have one of these little Nas drives http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=ADS ... e&ct=title
and I just wonder how it would perform. Once I find me another drive here around the shop I will throw it in there and ad it to the list. Limits you to one drive but is a sweet piece of hardware with a little security built in.

After all that I had some floppy issues. For some reason, even after changing out the floppy drive and the disk, saving the configuration would error. It ended up calming down and running off the original floppy but this leads me to want to use the usb and a flash drive. Never tried the kicker so whats this involve? Does it still require the floppy upon each boot?

Edit: I will leave the benchmark up for a while Ralph cause I also want to do some benchmarks on these when I can get some gigabyte lan cards. Despite what people think I'm not a rich tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:27 am 

Now here is something very surprising, I ran a benchmark on the 1300mhz machine through the lan and the numbers were almost identical in read and write speeds as it was with a crossover cable. The funny thing is that the write speed was .1 faster. Read was identical. Random seek + RW dropped by 2.5.

I also found a 20gig Maxtor I had and threw it in the ole ADS drive and to my surprise it was very, very slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:35 am 

gaiden wrote:
Whats that saying? you get what you pay for,

freenas is nothing.

No I'm not saying that. I'm sure Ralph and Toney know they will have to stay on top of there game especially since Freenas is in it's infancy and seeing what I see here they will and Freenas has a long way to go. It's buggy as hell and features that are included don't even work. I will have a system set up on both and keep an eye out.

Hey Freenas developers where are you to dispute any of these claims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:04 am 

That's more like it. Now you have some valid data that will allow you to draw a sensible conclusion.

Freenas has been is development for about two years. You'd think there would be something usable during that time. Instead you get a boobytrapped dinosaur. Yeah, it's beta and it will likely stay that way for a while.

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next